mt rock mill

Heritage: Mifflin & Centre County Railroad

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Milroy Branch

Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Milroy Secondary

The locals refer to this area as "Mount Rock". This is the area where the McDonald's restaurant is today on Electric Avenue. 

 Valuation Maps

  PRR.v16.01.PA 01 1918r42c49 Sunbury Div Milroy Branch.low 1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-01 corrected to 1949.
NOTE: Only the extreme right end of this map is referenced in the Lewistown (3902) location in the CT1000. The majority is in the Lewistown (LN) location.
 1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-02 corrected to 1927.  1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-02 corrected to 1949.
NOTE: The right half of this map is referenced in the Menzies (3903) location in the CT1000.

 

1923 Sanborn Maps

sb lewistown 1923 1 sb lewistown 1923 22 sb lewistown 1923 23

 

electric avenue 1958Electric Avenue, looking east, 1958.  
bridge 3902 Bridge 1.00. P1010592 Bridge 1.00.

 

Spanogle-Yeager Milling Co.

1.1 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

Listed in the 1923 and 1945 CT1000's.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. 

An online obituary indicates Edwin Spanogle, 95, dies on August 30, 1954 and that "Mr. Spanogle owned and operated the Spanogle and Yeager Milling Company at Mount Rock, Mifflin County, for many years and had been engaged in that business at Lewistown and at Reedsville for more than 60 years." The list of his survivors does not include anyone local so it is unknown who operated the mill after his death.

The mill was later operated under the name Goss and was destroyed by fire September 14, 1963. It was replaced by a fertilizer mill which has since closed but the building remains as of 2022.

1928 goss feed mill mount rock roller mills
spanogle 1910 spanogle yeager
Yeager Items  
The original appearance of the mill:
mt rock mill Mt Rock Dam
kish creek  
A later appearance of the mill:
lewistown 3902 1930s A view of the area circa 1930s.  
Below is the fertilizer plant which replaced the Spanogle & Yeager building after it was destroyed by fire.
not Spanogle Yeager 1987 The fertilizer plant in 1987.  
goss mill P1010586
P1010587 P1010588
P1010590 P1010591

 

Lewistown Transportation Co.

1.1 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

Listed in the 1923 CT1000 as Lewistown & Reedsville Elec. Ry.

Listed in the 1945 CT1000. 

lewistown electric railway car barn  
P1010592 Looking railroad-east from the siding towards the branch. The car barn was just behind the electrical substation at left. P1010675
1928 lewistown transportation 1928 lewistown transportation2

 

sinclair logoH. E. Knepp, Sinclair Refining Co. No. 1 and Independent Oil Co. No. 1

1.5 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

During September 1919, Harry Sinclair restructured Sinclair Oil and Refining Corporation, Sinclair Gulf Corporation, and 26 other related entities into Sinclair Consolidated Oil Corporation. In 1932, this new entity was renamed Consolidated Oil Corporation. In 1943, it was renamed Sinclair Oil Corporation.

In 1969, Sinclair was acquired by the Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO). Federal antitrust provisions required the new entity to divest itself of certain Sinclair assets, and as a result, the east coast operations of Sinclair were sold to BP (which has since purchased ARCO).

Listed in the 1923 CT1000 as H. E. Knepp.

Listed in the 1945 CT1000. 

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. Provides a clear footprint.

As of November 30, 2014, this location is still active. The majority of the area is a wood planing mill which is still rail served. Several empty bulkhead flats were on the siding inside the yard. Beyond the lumber mill at the end of the siding where a number of oil storage tanks as well as propane tanks. Not sure if this business was still active.

IMG 2494 IMG 2495

 

Lewistown 3902 Photo Scrapbook