- Hits: 739
East End Yard (MP 124.7)
East End -- E. B. Yard (MP 126.8)
Scales -- East Altoona (MP 128.1)
East Altoona (MP 128.1)
East Altoona, Pa. Round House Shops (MP 128.2)
|East Altoona coaling station, 1912.||East Altoona coaling station, 1912.|
Juniata Shop Yard (MP 129.6)
Car Shop Yard (MP 129.9)
Machine Shop Yard (MP 130.6)
Scales (MP 128.6)
Junc. Juniata Siding (MP 128.7)
Carload Delivery (MP 128.7)
Linde Air Products Co. (MP 128.8)
Collins Supply Co. (MP 128.8)
R. D. Elder Lumber Co. and Forsht Coal & Lumber Co. (MP 129.0)
East Side Coal & Suppy Co. No. 1 (MP 129.1)
Juniata Ice Co. (MP 129.2)
Junc. Altoona Northern R. R. (MP 129.2)
Icing Station (MP 129.1)
Scales -- Juniata -- regular south -- Emergency North (MP 129.2)
Freight Transfer (MP 129.5)
Scales -- Car Shop (MP 129.8)
Sinclair Refining Co. No. 4 (MP 130.2)
Peoples Natural Gas Co. (MP 130.2)
Carload Delivery (MP 130.2)
Shaffer Stores Co. (MP 130.4)
Leonard Miller and Gleichert & Son (MP 130.4)
East Side Coal & Supply Co. No. 2 (MP 130.5)
East Side Coal & Supply Co. No. 3 (MP 130.5)
William Conroy (MP 130.5)
L. B. Mackey (MP 130.5)
Freight Station (MP 130.6)
Passenger Station (MP 130.8)
|Altoona Station, 1971.|
Junc. Hollidaysburg Branch (MP 131.1)
Spur Oil Co. (MP 131.5)
Armour & Co. and Aurich & Co. (MP 131.7)
West End Yard (MP 131.8)
|SLOPE tower, 1935.|
Junc. Pittsburgh Div. (MP 131.8)
- Hits: 785
Station (MP 88.4)
|Mapleton freight station.|
H. O. Andrews No. 1 (MP 88.6)
Storage (MP 90.8)
Penna. Glass Sand Co. No. 2 -- Columbia (MP 90.8)
Penna. Glass Sand Co. No. 3 -- Keystone (MP 90.8)
|The sand plant in the 1940s.|
- Hits: 1367
|Mount Union prior to 1936.|
Bridge over Juniata River
Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Croghan Pike (522) and Juniata River on Norfolk Southern (former PRR).
Built 1906 by PRR, reinforced with concrete by Conrail ca. 1980.
This bridge has six segmental arch spans, each 100' long and 58' wide. The center pier's width was increased 20' making it 8' wider than the others which balances the classic aesthetic rules by giving it an easily identifiable center.
Passenger Station * (MP 86.7)
|Original PRR station in town before main line bypassed downtown.||1970 view of station.|
E. A. Beaver Co. (MP 86.7)
Harbison-Walker Co. (MP 86.7)
Transfer & Freight Station (MP 86.8)
Public Track (MP 86.9)
Station -- Transfer E. B. T. R. R. -- N. G. (MP 87.0)
General Refractories Co. No. 1 (MP 87.1)
|Company houses, 1990.|
Scales (MP 87.1)
Mt. Union Wood Preserving Plant (MP 87.2)
North American Refractories Co. No. 1 (MP 87.2)
Jackson Power House (MP 87.3)
- Hits: 675
Freight Station (MP 123.7)
Antis Street Public Delivery Siding (MP 123.8)
J. H. Hommer Lbr. Co. (MP 123.8)
Ray Oil Co. (MP 123.8)
Keystone Oil & Gas Co. (MP 123.8)
Junc. Bellwood Branch (MP 123.9)
Passenger Station (MP 124.0)
|Bellwood Station, 1909.|
|BELL Tower, 1957.|
- Hits: 1279
The following description is from the Library of Congress (HAER No. PA-534):
Heading west from Harrisburg in 1847, Chief Engineer J. Edgar Thomson surveyed a route for the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) that more or less followed the Pennsylvania Canal over the Allegheny Mountains on its way to Pittsburgh. The canal remained on the Juniata River's north bank, which was usually too narrow for the railroad to share. Thomson's route therefore used the south bank from the Juniata's mouth to Lewistown, a distance of about fifty five miles.
Between Lewistown and Granville, however, a difficult curve in the river made the north bank more favorable. Two long bridges across the river slowed the westward progress of construction, so from 1 September to 24 December 1849, Lewistown was the end of the line.
On the latter date, the first of a succession of structures known as the Granville Bridge opened to traffic. Located 1.25 miles west of Lewistown, it carried a single track on five 120'-0" wooden Howe truss spans. The first Granville Bridge was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in February 1855.
A decade later, an unknown contractor erected new two-track iron deck trusses on extensions of the existing stone piers. As part of PRR main line improvements in 1887, the spans were replaced with stronger trusses. Historic photographs show that these were doubleintersection Pratt deck trusses. Eye-bars comprising the diagonal and lower chord members were definitely wrought iron; tubular vertical members with elaborate end connections were likely cast. Shortly thereafter, PRR completed third and fourth tracks from the Susquehanna River to the east end of the Granville Bridge, but the two-track bridges at Rockville and Granville continued to limit capacity at either end of this segment. During the spring floods of 1889, the broad Susquehanna failed to dislodge the Rockville Bridge from its piers, but the narrower and faster-flowing Juniata took out four of the Granville Bridge's five spans. Using a combination of new and salvaged trusses, PRR crews managed to put the bridge back in service. Neither the Rockville nor the Granville bridge would last long into the twentieth century, however, as PRR sought to eliminate these two-track bottlenecks from its main line.
The current four-track stone arch bridge at Granville, like the much longer structure at Rockville, reflects PRR's monumental capital investment and desire for "permanent" structures in the early twentieth century. Although Chief Engineer William H. Brown had designed stone arches as early as 1887 at Johnstown, it was a flurry of masonry construction between 1900 and 1906 that earned him a reputation as the railroad's "stone man." Under the leadership of President Alexander J. Cassatt, PRR spent record amounts tunneling under the Hudson River into New York City, separating passenger and freight traffic in eastern Pennsylvania, and upgrading its main line to four tracks across the state. As part of the improvements, Brown and his staff designed notably long and expensive stone arch bridges over the Delaware, Juniata, Raritan, and Susquehanna rivers. The Granville Bridge is significant as a well-preserved example of a medium-length structure built during this period in the railroad's history.
It is unclear which of Brown's staff might have designed the Granville Bridge, which was built during the 1905 construction season. Many of its details resemble those of the Rockville Bridge completed three years earlier, pointing to design standards for stone arch spans. Even if standards existed, it would have been necessary for a knowledgeable engineer to adapt them to local conditions. The Granville Bridge is possibly the work of Assistant Engineer Alexander C. Shand, who succeeded Brown as Chief Engineer in 1906 and played a large role in construction of another bridge at Mount Union. A plaque on the Granville Bridge lists the names of Brown, Shand, and Assistant Engineer F. M. Sawyer, who supervised construction. The contractor, Eyre Construction Co. of Philadelphia, also receives credit on the plaque.
The Granville Bridge is 56'-0" wide and has eight segmental stone arch spans, each 70'-0" long. Most of the piers are 8'-0" wide, but the middle pier is 16'-0", bringing the total length to 624'-0" between abutments. At Rockville, wider piers occur at intervals to resist unbalanced thrust from an incomplete structure, providing convenient stopping points between construction seasons. The much shorter Granville Bridge was completed in a single year, so its wider middle pier probably serves more of an aesthetic function. With an even number of spans, the bridge has no easily identified center. The subtle difference in width draws the eye to the middle pier and balances the composition. Further emphasis is provided by corbeled projections from the spandrel walls at mid-span, providing 3'-0" by 16'-0" safety niches on either side. These features have a trapezoidal shape in elevation, echoing PRR's trademark keystone.
The Granville Bridge's construction sequence is not well-documented, but because of similar conditions in the Susquehanna and Juniata rivers, can be interpolated with reasonable certainty from the Rockville Bridge. All of the Granville Bridge's piers are founded on rock, which lies just below the shallow river's bottom. As with the Rockville Bridge, the arch rings were probably constructed on wooden truss falsework standing in the river bed. In both bridges, the 42"-thick rings consist of cut-stone voussoirs that contrast with rough ashlar spandrel walls and pier faces. The arches are segmental, with a radius of 40'-7-l/2" and a rise 20'-0" from springing to crown. In his description of PRR structures at Lewistown, historian James J. D. Lynch, Jr., states that the Granville Bridge was built in longitudinal halves, with the westbound tracks "supported in part on the stone piers of the 1889 Bridge." It may be true that each ring was built in longitudinal halves, using the same falsework twice, as with the Rockville Bridge.
Neither structure re-used the stone piers of its predecessor, however. At Granville, the old piers still stand upstream of the present bridge. After completing the arch rings, the contractor would have constructed spandrel walls and haunches, which reduce the amount of fill necessary to provide a level rail bed at 7-0" above the arch crowns. Unlike the unreinforced concrete haunches found at Rockville, as-built drawings of the Granville Bridge show a "grouted rubble backing," which was probably a less expensive material.
Maintenance records indicate alterations in 1927 and 1950. It is unclear on which of these dates steel tie rods were added to the bridge's exterior. This was no doubt done to stop spreading of the spandrel walls and longitudinal cracking in the arch rings. Coping stones have been covered with reinforced concrete on the upstream side of the bridge. Nonetheless, the Granville Bridge appears today much as it did in 1905. It remains in active service, carrying freight and Amtrak passenger trains.
Stone arch bridge, built 1905-06 by Pennsylvania RR; concrete reinforcements added by Conrail in 1980s/1990s
Original wooden 5-span Linville Truss ca. 1860, replaced by cast iron Whipple deck truss ca. 1870; washed out 1889, replaced by another bridge.
Total length: 630.0 ft.
Station (MP 64.4)
- Hits: 674
Tyrone Lime & Stone Co. No. 2 (MP 115.5)
|FORGE Tower, 1968.|
|FORGE Tower, 1974.|
- Hits: 1342
The tiny hamlet of Hawstone was named for Haws Refractory Co., a fire brick manufacturer located there from 1910-66. Actual factory ruins are hard to find but the stone from which the bricks were made can be easily found throughout the narrow valley.
Haws' Refractories Co. No. 1 (MP 55.6)
Station (MP 55.9)
Haws' Refractories Co. No. 2 (MP 56.2)
- Hits: 4648
Although the railroad referred to this location as McVeytown, McVeytown was technically on the opposite side of the Juniata River and was originally founded as ______. The village on the railroad side of the river was Manayunk. The Pennsylvania Railroad reached McVeytown in 1849. Public passenger train service to and from McVeytown commenced on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1849.
From volume eight, number three, of The Keystone:
Q32: What is the story on the interlocking and crossovers that were to be installed near McVeytown, Pa. to break up the 24-mile long block between "Lewis" and "Jacks" Towers on the Middle Division?
A32: The project was authorized in September 1945- Four crossovers were installed between tracks 1 and 2 and tracks 3 and 4 during 1946. The interlocking was to be remotely controlled from a planned new fireproof tower at "Jacks". For some reason the project was abandonned and the new switches were apparently never put into operation. Boards were installed to hold the switches in place. After a year or two the switches were removed. "Jacks" Tower was never changed.
There were separate freight and passenger structures on the north side of the main tracks at McVeytown. In the earlier years, a watch tower protected the road crossing. Here are two views of the passenger station:
The freight station was built in 1888.
H. O. Andrews No. 2
Steve Cutshall indicates that Andrews was a feed/grain operation, also on the north side of the main tracks. It was listed as J. T. Rodgers in 1923 CT1000. It was listed as W. M. Atkinson No. 1 and No. 2 in the 1900 CT1000.
Steve Cutshall indicates that was a team track on the south side of the main tracks. It is shown on the 1955 signal chart, but there is no entry in the CT1000's.
- Hits: 1539
Mr. Chairman, Board Members, Employes and Stockholders,
The Office of the Chief Engineer is pleased to share with you this report of construction progress on the Pennsylvania Railroad, Middle Division, as of the end of the Second Quarter, 2019:
|Middle Division Construction Progress|
|Middle Division Main Line|
|Harrisburg/Enola (staging)||100%||100%||N/A||Q2 2014|
|WALL Interlocking||100%||100%||N/A||Q2 2014|
|Lewistown Junction (XA )||100%||100%||40%||Q1 2014|
|LEWIS Interlocking||100%||100%||10%||Q1 2015|
|Ryde (268-270)||100%||100%||25%||Q4 2014|
|Vineyard (272) (stairway underpass)||100%||100%||N/A||Q2 2014|
|JACKS Interlocking||100%||100%||N/A||Q3 2014|
|Altoona (staging)||100%||100%||N/A||Q3 2014|
|Lewistown Junction (XA)||100%||80%||0%||Q1 2017|
|Juniata Helix||100%||100%||N/A||Q3 2013|
|Lewistown (LN)||100%||80%||0%||Q1 2017|
|Furnace Branch Siding (LN)||0%||0%||0%||Future Expansion|
|Lewistown (LN)||100%||100%||50%||Q3 2016|
|Kishacoquillas Helix||100%||100%||N/A||Q3 2015|
|Lewistown (3902)||100%||100%||25%||Q2 2016|
|Menzies (3903, stairway overpass)||100%||100%||50%||Q2 2015|
|Burnham (3904, west half)||100%||85%||0%||Q2 2015|
|Burnham (3904, east half)||100%||100%||10%||Q4 2013|
|Standard Steel Company||100%||10%||0%||TBD|
|Yeagertown (3905)||100%||85%||10%||Q1 2013|
|Mann's Narrows (3906)||100%||100%||100%||Q3 2013|
|KV Junction (3907)||50%||50%||10%||Q3 2013|
|Reedsville (3907)||0%||0%||0%||Future Expansion|
|Honey Creek (3908)||0%||0%||0%||Future Expansion|
|Naginey (3911)||0%||0%||0%||Future Expansion|
|Milroy (3912)||100%||100%||10%||Q1 2016|
|Susquehanna Division: Selinsgrove Secondary|
Northward Relay Tracks (staging)
| Black Valley||50%||20%||0%||Future Expansion|
|Southward Relay Tracks (staging)||0%||0%||N/A||Future Expansion|
- Hits: 1025
Station (MP 76.7)
Bridge over Juniata River
|Ryde bridge in 1908.|
- Hits: 6598
The following databases have been restored from the former Keystone Crossings web site:
Page 2 of 8