Uncategorised

"In 1842 no house stood within the present limits of the borough of Coalmont. A camp-meeting ground at that time occupied a portion of the borough. The land was owned by John Berkstresser and David E. Brode. The house was built in the summer of 1843 by Mr. Brode. It was a log house, and it now constitutes a part of the residence of Andrew H. Hickes, near Shoup's Run. No other house was built till 1854, when another log dwelling was erected by John J. Hamilton, and two frame houses by John and Thomas White. Work on the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad, which was then commenced, brought thither many workman and settlers, who came to labor on the railroad and in the mines which then were opened. Between 1854 and 1858 most of the houses in the village were erected. The time of greatest prosperity here was from 1862-1865. At that time a New York company was constructing a branch railroad and opening new mines here, and these operations made business very brisk. The village then had three hotels and three mercantile establishments, all of which did a thriving business. The hotels were built and kept, one by Ezekial White, one by Thomas Fagan, and one, the largest of the three, was built by William P. Schell, and first kept by Frank Reamer. The stores were first kept by Evans Brothers & Co., Ezekial White, and Berkstresser and Moore. Samuel G. Miller was the first blacksmith who carried on a shop here, and Ezekial White was the pioneer shoemaker. A saw-mill was erected in 1856 by John Hamilton. The machinery for this mill was a few years later removed to a locality in Fulton County. The people who came here were miners or those engaged in business that was subservient to the mining interest, and the borough was prosperous in proportion to the activity and extent of mining operations here. From 1864 to 1874 the place maintained its status without much change. The population during that period was about four hundred. The financial crash that followed was disastrous in its effects on this borough, and in 1876-1877 nearly one-half of the houses were without in habitants. Although the borough has to some extent recovered from this depression, it has not reached its former prosperous condition. No hotel is now kept here, and only one store and a grocery. The population in 1880 was one hundred and seventy-one."1
 
1History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 228-237.

 

1873 coalmont1873 atlas depiction of Coalmont.  

 

In 1852, the Broad Top Improvement Co., which laid out the town, constructed a 57-room hotel called the Broad Top Mountain House. It attracted visitors from far away and was very popular with Philadelphians. According to a Huntingdon County history, "The hotel was much patronized as a summer resort, the mountain scenery and healthful surroundings of the place attracting many who desired to escape from the dust and heat of crowded cities."

"In 1854 the Broad Top Railroad Improvement Company purchased the farm of Miles Cook, and on it laid out a part of the village of Broad Top City. Jesse Cook, whose land joined this on the north, also laid out a portion of the village at the same time. At this time the company erected a saw-mill and commenced the erection of a hotel, which was completed in 1855. From this time the growth of the village kept even pace with the development of the coal interest, and it reached its height about the year 1861. During eight years from that time it neither increased or diminished in size, but after 1869 business became less active here as the coal interest declined. The population however, never diminished to any great extent. In 1868 the village was incorporated as a borough. he borough contains fifty-eight dwellings and four hundred inhabitants. It has two hotels, one of which has been much patronized as a summer resort, the mountain scenery and healthful surroundings of the place attracting hither many who desire to escape form the dust and heat of the crowded cities. There are also two stores, a millnery store and a confectionary establishment, a blacksmith's shop, a gunsmith's shop, a wagon shop, a cabinet shop, two churches, and a public school, in which sessions were held during six months of 1881, and seventy pupils were instructed."1
 
1History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 228-237.
 
1873 broadtopcity1873 atlas depiction of Broad Top City. broadtopcity

 

"In 1879, Powelton Furnace (which was built with the most improved appliances) was put into blast amid the congratulations of several hundred people who had voluntarily assembled to witness the sight. Since that time this furnace has been remarkably successful, and is now producing from sixty-five to seventy tons of coke metal per day, of a quality unsurpassed by and produced in this country. This furnace is now managed by E. J. Bird, an English gentleman of great distinction, who was years ago commissioned by Queen Victoria and the Spanish government to erect furnaces within their respective realms. De Veaux Powel, the second son of Mr. Powel, controls the executive department of this establishment, and displays an ability which warrants its future success, when his father shall no longer be here to guide his head or hand. The furnace plant and its connections, it is stated, will give employment to about eight hundred men."1
 
1History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 228-237.
"Carbon Colliery, also within the borough of Broad Top City, was opened in 1872, by the elder Mears, and it is still operated by his sons. The mouth of the drift is seven hundred yards from the railroad, which is reached by a tramway and a self-acting plane. This mine is nearly worked out, and will soon be abandoned."1
 
1History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 228-237.

Freight Roster

501 Box

Passenger Roster

3
Combine
 
4
Coach
 
7
Combine. Converted from a baggage car at Coleville.
 
15
Combine. Converted from a baggage car at Coleville.
 
100 (1st)
Steam Powered Combine
 
100 (2nd)
Gas Powered Coach

Non Revenue Roster

100
Plow Russell snow plow.
 
101
Caboose (photo in 1953)
 
102
Caboose (photo in 1947) Ex-Army staff car.
 
103
Caboose (photo in 1955) Evans Autorailer.
"The Fisher Mine, on the railroad about one mile below Broad Top City, was opened previous to the building of the railroad. It was worked by Fisher & Miller from 1870 till 1880, when work was suspended in it during a year. In January 1881, the present lessees, Reed Brothers, came in possession. It is a drift, opening a quarter of a mile from the railroad, to which a tramway leads. The heading extends into the Barnet vein, which is here two and one-half to four feet in thickness, four hundred and fifty yards. Thirty hands are employed, and the daily output is sixty tons. W. Scott Reed is the superintendent."1
 
1History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 228-237.
No. Type Term Notes
 
1 4-6-0
1892 - 1902 Baldwin 1886, acquired 1892 from BRB&BE, sold 1902 to Pittsburgh Construction Co.
 
2 4-6-0
1892 - 1903 Baldwin 18??, ex-PRR class G1, acq. 1892, sold 1903.
 
3 4-6-0
1893 - 1902 Baldwin 1873 ex-PRR class G1 No. 836, acq. 1893, sold 1902 to Huntingdon & Broad Top Mtn.
 
4 2-8-0
1902 - 1912 Altoona? 1883, ex-PRR class H1, acq. 1902, sold 1912 to Brownsville Construction Co.
 
5 4-4-0
1902 - 1920 Altoona 1886, ex-PRR class D7a No. 1015, acq. 1902, sold 1920 to Kishacoquillas Valley RR.
 
6 2-8-0
1903 - 1910 Altoona? 1882, ex-PRR class H1, acq. 1903, sold 1910.
 
7 4-4-0
1904 - 1905 ????, acq. 1904, exchanged for No. 8, 1905.
 
8 4-4-0
1905 - 1912 Baldwin 1883, ex-Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac, acq. 1905, sold 1912.
 
9 2-8-0
1910 - 1936 Altoona 1888, ex-PRR class H3 No. 4159, acq. 1910, scrapped 1936.
 
10 2-8-0
1910 - 1928 Altoona 1889, ex-PRR class H3 No. 1759, acq. 1910, retired 1926, scrapped 1928.
 
11 2-8-0
1912 - 1928 Altoona 1891, ex-PRR class H3 No. 196, acq. 1912, scrapped 1928.
 
12 4-6-0
1920 - 1921 ????. acq. 1920, sold 1921 to Louisiana & Northwestern.
 
13 2-8-0
1923 - 1930 Altoona 1888, ex-PRR class H3 No. 4158, acq. 1923, sold for scrap 1930.
 
14 2-8-0
1928 - 1931 Alco/Brooks, ??, ex-Pittsburgh Lisbon & Western No. 18 (?), acq. 1928, sold for scrap 1931.
 
15 2-8-0
1929 - 1940 Baldwin 1905, ex Lehigh & New England No. 18, acq. 1929, sold 1940 to C&PA RR.
 
16 2-8-0
1930 - 1940 Alco/R. I. 1902, ex-Detroit Toledo & Ironton No. 76, acq. 1930, sold 1940 to M&U RR.
 
17 2-8-0
1930 - 1947 Alco/R. I. 1902, ex-Detroit Toledo & Ironton No. 77, acq. 1930, scrapped 1947.
 
18 2-8-0
1938 - 1947 Richmond 1909, ex-C&O, ex-Va. Central No. 1022, acquired from dealer 1938, scrapped 1947.
 
19 2-8-0
1940 - 1949 Richmond 1906, ex-C&O, ex-Va. Central No. 901, acquired from dealer 1940, scrapped 1949.
 
20 2-8-0
1946 - 1953 Juniata,1913, ex-PRR class H9s No. 3485, purchased from PRR 1946, scrapped 1953.
 
21 2-8-0
1947 - 1953 Juniata 1908, ex-PRR class H9s No. 1691, purchased from PRR 1947, scrapped 1953.
 
22 2-8-0
1949 - 1956 Baldwin, ex-PRR class H9s No. 444, purchased from PRR 1949, scrapped 1956.
 
5323 SW9
1953 - 1979 Purchased 1953 new from EMD, off roster 1979, to South Central Tennessee RR.
 
5624 SW1200
1956 - 1985 Purchased 1956 new from EMD, off roster 1985, to South Central Tennessee RR.
"The Ocean Mine, about one-half mile east from Dudley, was opened in 1879, by W. H. Sweet & Co., in the Barnet vein. It is a drift, the opening of which is near the railroad, so that cars are loaded as the coal is taken from the mine. The heading extends two thousand feet. The average thickness of the vein here is thirty-two inches, Fifty-eight hands are employed, and the daily capacity is one hundred and twenty-five tons."1
 
1History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 228-237.
1-250
25 Ton Hopper Gondola
12/1897: 200 | 10/1900: 108 | 10/1907: 0 | 9/1954: 0
 
200-249, Class HM
50 Ton Steel Gondola
12/1897: 0 | 10/1900: 0 | 10/1907: 47 | 9/1954: 1 (#202)
 
251-2650
30 Ton Wood Hopper Gondola
12/1897: 2400 | 10/1900: 2400 | 10/1907: 1633 | 9/1954: 0
 
2651-3150
40 Ton Wood Hopper Gondola, GN
12/1897: 0 | 10/1900: 500 | 10/1907: 491 | 9/1954: 0
 
2656, 2670, 2830, 2904, 2952, 3048, 3061, 3069, 3097
50 Ton Steel Gondola
12/1897: 0 | 10/1900: 0 | 10/1907: 9 | 9/1954: 0
 
3151-3250
50 Ton Steel Gondola
12/1897: 0 | 10/1900: 0 | 10/1907: 100 | 9/1954: 0
 
3251-3750, Class HM
50 Ton Steel Gondola, ACF/PSC
12/1897: 0 | 10/1900: 0 | 10/1907: 500 | 9/1954: 62
 
3752-3811, Class GB
50 Ton Steel Gondola 46', G22, Note 1
12/1897: 0 | 10/1900: 0 | 10/1907: 0 | 9/1954: 7
 
Note 1: Built in 1918 to Pennsy standards with drop bottom doors. Rebuilt in the late 1920s with a tight floor, running to abandonement of the railroad in March 1954.
"The same firm [the Reed brothers] is opening a mine on the Benedict property, about one-fourth of a mile below the borough of Dudley. The Barnet vein, which here has a thickness of four feet, has been reached through a tunnel of four hundred yards, and preparations for shipping coal are in progress. The daily capacity of this mine will be three hundred tons. This work is under W. Scott Reed's superintendence."1
 
1History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 228-237.

State College station

For most of the Bellefonte Central Railroad's life, State College was its western terminus.

In 1953, President Dwight D. Eisenhower came to State College by train. His brother, Milton, was president of the Pennsylvania State College. You can read more in the article POTUS to Penn State.