Indiana

The Z68 was a minor class of business car on the Pennsy and were three cars authorized in the 1928 program.

No known HO scale models of this class have been produced to date.

 

Business Car 7515, Indiana

Class Z68. Reclassified Z68R.

General Superintendent's Car

Built at Altoona in April 1929. One of 11 cars in 1928 program. As of October 1, 1929, slated to be named Indiana and assigned to staff officers based in Chicago. Stenciled Indiana on December 4, 1930. As of January 1, 1932, named Indiana, based in Chicago, and assigned to GSMP, Western Region. August 28, 1940, ice-activated air-conditioning from P70CR #3622 installed at Altoona and reclassified as Z68R. As of February 10, 1953, assigned to Chief Engineer, MW, GSMP and General Superintendent, Transportation, Western Region, based in Chicago. Around 1955 the car had 3D5P3 trucks. In 1955 the car was stored at Spruce Street Coach Yard, Columbus. As of September 1957 the car was stored in Altoona. As of August 1960, the car was stored under cover in Altoona. In November 1963, a 12-foot section of the car was sent to the New York World's Fair for exhibition. In March 1964 the car was scrapped.

Business Car 7516, JohnstownBuckeye

Class Z68. Reclassified Z68R.

General Superintendent's Car

Built at Altoona April 29, 1929. Another of 11 cars in program. As of October 1, 1929, named Johnstown. Assigned to General Superintendent, Western Pennsylvania Division, based in Pittsburgh. Ice-activated air-conditioning from P70 #1110 installed at Altoona, As of 1940 stored ib Pittsburgh. Trucks changed to 3DP1 at Pitcairn August 13, 1949. As of February 10, 1953, assigned to General Manager, General Superintendent, Transportation and Chief Engineer, Central Region, based in Pittsburgh. As of 1955 stored in Pittsburgh. As of an unknown date, renamed Buckeye and assigned to the Regional Manager, Buckeye Region. As of September 1957, assigned to Regional Manager, Cincinnati. In October 1960, mored from Cincinnati to Columbus and used as a dormitory. Around 1964-65, transferred to MW 492475 and assigned to C&S Dept.

Business Car 7517, CantonWilliamsportBuffalo, Lake

Class Z68. Reclassified Z68R.

General Superintendent's Car

Built in Altoona in April 1929 as one of 11 cars in 1928 program. As of October 1, 1929, named Canton and assigned to General Superintendent, Estern Ohio Division, based in Pittsburgh. Ice-activated air-conditioning from cafe-coach #1107 installed at Altoona January 21, 1941. In 1945, assigned to Central Region staff, based in Pittsburgh. On July 1, 1949, trucks changed to 3DP1. On November 21, 1950, renamed Williamsport at Altoona and assigned to Superintendent, Susquehanna Division, based in Williamsport. In February 1952, renamed Buffalo. As of February 10, 1953, assigned to Central Region staff, based in Pittsburgh. In December 1955, renamed Lake. As of September 1957, assigned to Regional Manager, Cleveland. In October 1960, moved to Altoona and stored under cover. In August 1964, transferred to MW 492474 and assigned to C&S dsept., based in St. Mary's, Pa.


Elevation and Floor Plan

z68 z68 fp