Burnham2C PA 1917 ICC photo2C Robert Johnson Coll

Heritage: Mifflin & Centre County Railroad

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Milroy Branch

Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Milroy Secondary


58740063 2673558462685574 6400387988513095680 n

 Two early views of the Standard Steel plant from Burnham.

59390882 2673564376018316 3543983386596999168 o

1923 Sanborn Maps

sb burnham 1923 1 sb burnham 1923 4 sb burnham 1923 7 sb burnham 1923 8
sb burnham 1923 9 sb burnham 1923 10 sb burnham 1923 11  


Distance from Lewistown Passenger Station...

2.3 J. H. Miller

Miller was a sand provider. Narrow gauge "donkey tracks" led up the mountain to the quarry. John Snyder recalls there actually being an electric "lokie" with overhead wire. Paul Fagley recalls there being a "covered bridge" on the donkey tram above a scale just west of the creek.

Altoona Tribune 20Jul1914The July 20, 1914, issue of the Altoona Tribune announced the formation of the John H. Miller Sand Company.

Below -- Topographic map indicates route of the donkey tracks relative to the plant and the topography. Railroad valuation maps current to 1955 indicate two spurs with a suggestion of a third that was removed. The red highlighting on the valuation map indicates track removed in 1971.

JHMiller topo JHMiller val 1955


Visible in the 1957 Penn Pilot photo; remnants may be found via Google Maps, including the bridge piers. 

Penn Pilot, 1938:
JHMiller 1938
Penn Pilot, 1957:
JHMiller 1957
Penn Pilot, 1971:JHMiller 1971 2014:
JHMIller 2014


November 2014:IMG 2073 IMG 2076 IMG 2079
IMG 2080 IMG 2081 IMG 2085
IMG 2086 IMG 2087 IMG 2088


2.3 Passing Siding

JM Block Station

JM block station is indicated on the 1919 track chart.

It does not appear in the April 1928 Middle Division employee timetable. The September 1933 Middle Division employee timetable shows a BR block station; November 1936 shows HM; and April 1939 it is referenced as BURN block station.

JM block station, 1917:
1917 JM burnham


2.6 Stations

There were separate freight and passenger stations located at Burnham. The passenger station was (railroad) west of the freight station and closest to Freedom Avenue.

Passenger service ceased in 1941. At some point the freight station was razed and freight services moved to the passenger depot. The resulting structure was boarded up no later than 1964.

Listed in 1923 and 1945 CT1000's.

In the photo at right, the passenger station is in the foreground with the freight station behind.

1910 Sanborn map:
BurnhamStation 1910
Valuation map, corrected to 1955: 
BurnhamStation val 1955
The red highlighting on the valuation map indicates track removed in 1971. There are indications of earlier trackage that no longer remained.
North and west facades, passenger station (foreground) and freight station (background):Burnham2C PA 1917 ICC photo2C Robert Johnson Coll Freight station, east facade, 1917:
1917 burnham freight east

1970ish photographs of the passenger station from the collection of Robert Johnson; used with permission.   

Burnham2C PA 1964 06 14 Ed Weber photo2C Robert Johnson Coll Burnham2C PA 1970 06 28 South corner2C Robert Johnson photo Burnham2C PA 1970 06 28 Northeast side2C Robert Johnson photo Burnham2C PA 1970 06 28 North corner2C Robert Johnson photo
Burnham2C PA 1970 06 28 Northwest end2C Robert Johnson photo     Burnham2C PA 1970 06 28 Southeast end2C Robert Johnson photo  Burnham2C PA 1970 06 28 Southwest 28track29 side2C Robert Johnson photo


2.8 Logan Iron & Steel Co. No. 1 (Kovalchick Salvage Company)
3.1 Logan Iron & Steel Co. No. 1 (Kovalchick Salvage Company)

Lewistown and the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRRT&HS) documents (p.54) that this entity (Logan Iron and Steel) went bankrupt in May 1946. The property was purchased by the Kovalchick Salvage Company. A portion was developed as a shopping mall and the remainder survives as a salvage yard.

Below: Three images from the 1910 series Sanborn maps.

LoganIron 1910 LoganIron 1910 LoganIron 1910


1905 Track Diagram of Logan Iron & Steel showing proposed mill yard tracks. Courtesy of Susan Yosten.

Post 1905 Track Diagram of Logan Iron & Steel. Courtesy of Susan Yosten.

Undated Track Diagram of Logan Iron & Steel showing proposed changes in trackwork. Courtesy of Susan Yosten.

Suburban Atlantic States Gas Company

611 N Logan Blvd.

According to a Golden Jubilee booklet published in 1961, the "Atlantic States Gas Company began operation in April, 1936, in Lewistown, Pennsylvania. The office was located at 137 Market Street and the bulk plant was located on South Dorcas Street, Lewistown. In 1947, the company moved from Lewistown to Burnham where a new bulk plant was built on North Logan Blvd."

It remains unclear if the company had any relation to the Suburban Propane Gas Corporation, which was formed in 1945.

suburban atlantic states gas  


NOTE: Standard Steel is not covered on this page. Though there were two early tracks into the plant from Burnham proper, they were removed long before the era being depicted. For information on The Standard, please reference the Milroy Secondary: 3905 - Yeagertown article.