PENNSYRR.COM by Jerry Britton

prr class gpa covered hopper wab brakes resin kit wone piece body 279 8270

Originally designed for coke service, the GP and GPA classes played an important role hauling cinders and ballast in MoW service after 1937.

 

Types of Trucks Used

Class Car Numbers Truck Class Truck Name Qty cars:
GP     2D-F1 Arch Bar  
GP     2D-F2 Crown  
GP     2D-F8 P.R.R.  
GPa     2D-F1 Arch Bar  
GPa     2D-F2 Crown  
GPa     2D-F8 P.R.R.  
Truck data is from PRR documents circa 1940's. Other truck classes may also have been used.
Data from prr.railfan.net.

GP

Between May and June of 1903, 500 class GT cars were built by Pressed Steel Car. After October of that year, they were reclassified as GP.

Very similar in appearance to the later H21 series, the GP series had 12 side panels vs. 10, and side dumping hoppers for coke service.  The GP also had higher sides than the H21 -- 12' vs. 10'6".

The cars were delivered with 2D-F1 trucks.

Starting in March 1924, the GP started receiving top chord reinforments as was also used on the H21 series.

The GP disappeared from revenue service by November 1937. Most were moved to MoW for cinder or ballast service and had their 12' sides cut down to 10'. As of 1941, 477 remained in this service; by 1959 the number had diminished to 41.

At this point a main spotting feature between the GP and GPA was that the former featured four strap hinges on the doors vs. three.

The Norfolk & Western's class HI (500 cars) was a copy of the PRR's GP. All were scrapped by 1936.


GPA

scan0270 600x264 large

Between May and September 1905, 700 cars of class GPA were built by Cambria Steel built 200 of these for Lines East and Pressed Steel built 500 for Lines West.

The GPA had 10' sides, plus 2' wooden coke racks extending the sides up to the original GP height of 12'.

The coke racks were removed starting in October 1922. Within three years, 94% of the fleet had been so modified.

The cars were delivered with 2D-F1 trucks. Once moved to MoW service, most ended up with 2D-F8 trucks.

Starting in March 1924, the GPA also started receiving top chord reinforments as was also used on the H21 series. 

The GPA disappeared from revenue service by November 1937. Most were moved to MoW for cinder or ballast service. As of 1941, 591 remained in this service; by 1959 the number had decreased to 158.

At this point a main spotting feature between the GP and GPA was that the former featured four strap hinges on the doors vs. three.

The Norfolk & Western's class HL (500 cars) was a copy of the PRR's GPA. All were scrapped by 1936.

Funaro & Camerlengo offers the GPA as a resin kit. Decals are available from Mount Vernon Shops.

8272Large
Funaro & Camerlengo GPA in revenue service.

prr class gpa covered hopper wab brakes resin kit wone piece body 279 8270Funaro & Camerlongo GPA in MoW service.