PENNSYRR.COM by Jerry Britton

148002 2The GLA was a car on its own; not a derivative of the GL. It was a 50-ton car with seven stakes (vs. nine on the GL) and no fishbelly.

The GLA arrived in January 1905 and numbered over 30 thousand, either built for the PRR or acquired from coal companies -- 1,500 came from M. A. Hanna and Co. in 1907 and 1909.

GLA

prr gla 166658 500
bwcx 4026 500 wmx 1404 500

 

Over 5,000 were built for various coal companies, including Berwind-White, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania Coal & Coke, etc. Some of these were later sold to the PRR -- 341 from Westmoreland in 1942 and 1,448 from Berwind-White in 1964.

Most were fitted with PRR 2D-F8 trucks and equipped with Carmer cut levers.

In 1917, the B&O acquired some GLA from Jamison Coal & Coke and classified them as N-15.

Other railroads copied the design with minor modifications, including the Western Maryland and the B&O (class N-12).

The GLA has been produced in plastic by Rapido and Bowser (kit and ready-to-run). The GLA has been produced as a resin kit by Westerfield. Decals are available from many sources, including Mount Vernon Shops.

Rapido GLA hopper.

42616Bowser GLA hopper in Berwind-White livery.

DSC06656Westerfield GLA hopper.


GLG

 The GLG were 250 modernized GLA, beginning in 1936, and included power hand brakes and straight side stakes.

The Berwind cars acquired in 1964 had various improvements implemented, including power hand brakes. They retained their Berwind-White herald but the reporting mark was shortened to "BWC" and dropped the "X".