PENNSYRR.COM by Jerry Britton

8490Large

The F25 were heavy duty riveted well cars designed to carry overheight loads including tranformers and structural frameworks. Two were built by Altoona Car Shops in February 1916 and another 25 late in 1917. The cars had a capacity of 70-tons and were 45'0" long over strikers with a 25'2" long well. The well was 2'4" deep with a wooden floor.

Cars on the PRR roster (as listed in the Official Railway Equipment Register (ORER)):

Class Car Number AAR Class PRR Oct 44 PRR Oct 48 PRR Apr 52 PRR Oct 53 PRR Oct 58 PRR Oct 63 PRR Apr 68
F25 435464 435470 FW 7 7 7 7 7 6 6
F25 435479 435480 FW 2 2 2 2 2 2 1
F25 435483 435490 FW 8 8 8 8 7 7 7
F25a 435471 435476 FW 6 6 6 6 6 5 5
F25b 435477 435478 FWS 2 2 1 1 - - -
F25c 435481 435482 FW 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
F25d 435478 - FWS - - 1 1 1 1 1
F25e 435477 - FWS - - - - 1 1 1
Roster data compiled by Rich Orr. From prr.railfan.net.

 

Types of trucks used

Class Car Numbers Truck Class Truck Name Qty cars:
F25     2E-F1(mod)    
F25a     2E-F24C Barber S-2C ride control  
F25b     2E-F2 Crown  
Truck data is from PRR documents circa 1940's. Other truck classes may also have been used. From prr.railfan.net.

 

F25

PRR 435475 F25

The capacities were gradually increased to 85-tons or 95-tons, but many were later reduced no later than April 1945.

The F25A has been offered as a resin kit by Funaro & Camerlengo; and as a kit by Red Ball (out of business).

8490LargeFunaro & Camerlengo F25 flat car.


F25A

 Six F25 were reduced to 70-ton capacity and reclassified F25A. The six were fitted with Crown trucks in 1926 and increased the capacity to 95-tons. It was downgraded later to 85-tons.

The F25A has been offered in brass by Railworks.

RW F25ARailworks F25A flat car.


F25B

 Three F25 were converted to F25B in 1928, and another three in 1937 (435477-435482). Their floors were removed and steel girders were fixed in place for the transport of steel plates or other excessively wide cargo to be loaded diagonally. The capacity was 70-tons.


F25C

 Two F25B (435481 and 435482) were converted to F25C during 1941. They were modified to carry boiler heads from Lukens Steel at Coatesville, Pa. Flat plates were welded to the bottom of the sides to form a floor in the well and a rack was installed for loading the boiler heads.


F25D and F25E

These classes were rebuilds and reclassifications of the remaining F25B. This happened between 1948 and 1958 and eliminated the F25B as a class.