PENNSYRR.COM by Jerry Britton

PRR 470318 F31 E8809 containerdoorsopen

Twenty five F31 were built by Altoona Car Shops (470300-470324) in 1929 to carry containers for the Pennsy's new COFC service. They were constructed as 70-ton cars and designed to carry eight DD1 containers. With a length of 62'6", they were the longest in the PRR's general service fleet at the time.

Cars on the PRR roster (as listed in the Official Railway Equipment Register (ORER)):

Class Car Number AAR Class PRR Oct 44 PRR Oct 48 PRR Apr 52 PRR Oct 53 PRR Oct 58 PRR Oct 63 PRR Apr 68
F31a 470300 470324 FM 10 20 13 10 16 16 16
Roster data compiled by Rich Orr. From prr.railfan.net.

 

Types of trucks used

Class Car Numbers Truck Class Truck Name Qty cars:
F31      2E-F8 Dalman  
F31a     2E-F9    
Truck data is from PRR documents circa 1940's. Other truck classes may also have been used. From prr.railfan.net.

 

F31

PRR 470318 F31 MLC1939

PRR 470318 F31 E8809 containerdoorsopen

COFC service did not fare well as shipment of eight containers to the same place was not well received. Conversion of the F31 to general service began in 1937 but was not fully completed until 1948.

The F31 has been offered in brass by Railworks. Decals are available from Mount Vernon Shops.

RW F31Railworks F31 flat car with containers.


F31A

The F31A were reclassifications of the 25 F31, with their container loading equipment removed. Initially in general service, five of the cars were transferred in February and March of 1943 to MoW to become "Foamite" cars for fire fighting. In July and August 1949, seven more were transferred to MoW service -- four as "Foamite" cars and three for weed spraying. In 1958, six returned to revenue service.