PENNSYRR.COM by Jerry Britton

Columbus

The Z62 class included seven cars in a 1928 program. The cars were typically assigned to division superintendents.

In HO scale, the Z62 has been produced in brass by Railworks.

 

Business Car 7525, LancasterHarrisburg, Youngstown

Class Z62.

Division Superintendent's Car

Built in Altoona in March 1929. One of 11 cars in 1928 program.

  • As of October 1, 1929, named Lancaster and assigned to Superintendent, Philadelphia Division, Cumberland Valley Division, based in Harrisburg.
  • June 7, 1935, renamed Harrisburg at Altoona.
  • March 20, 1941, renamed Youngstown at Wilmington.
  • February 1943, rebuilt as P76 coach 829.

Business Car 7526, The AltoonanAltoonaCape Charles

Class Z62.

Division Superintendent's Car

Built at Altoona May 21, 1929 as one of 11 cars in 1928 program.

  • As of October 1, 1929, named The Altoonan and assigned to Superintendent, Middle Division, and Superintendent, Cression Division, based in Altoona. By 1931, assigned to Superintendent, Middle Division, based in Altoona.
  • By 1941, renamed Altoona.
  • August 20, 1947, renamed Cape Charles and assigned to Superintendent, Delmarva Division, based in Cape Charles, Va.
  • June 14, 1950, trucks changed to 2D-P5 at Wilmington.
  • As of February 1953, stored at Altoona.
  • May 1953, scrapped.

Business Car 7527, Wheeling, BuffaloCleveland

Class Z62.

Division Superintendent's Car

Built at Altoona May 27, 1929 as one of 11 cars in 1928 program.

  • As of October 1, 1929, named Wheeling and assigned to Superintendent, Eastern, Panhandle, and Wheeling divisions, based in Pittsburgh.
  • As of January 1, 1932, based in Buffalo, NY.
  • February 2, 1932, renamed Buffalo at Pitcairn and assigned to General Superintendent, Northern Region and superintendents, Buffalo and Renovo divisions.
  • June 17, 1944, renamed Cleveland at Pitcairn and assigned to General Superindent, Lake Division and Superintendent, Cleveland Division, based in Cleveland.
  • July 4, 1948, 2D-P5 trucks from P70 3610 were installed at Pitcairn.
  • As of December 1949, stored at Altoona.
  • May 1953, scrapped.

Business Car 7528, GreensburgWilliamsport

Class Z62.

Division Superintendent's Car

Built at Altoona May 1929 as one of 11 cars in 1928 program.

  • As of October 1, 1929, named Greensburg and assigned to superintendents, Conemaugh, Monongahela, and Pittsburgh divisions, based in Pittsburgh.
  • As of January 1, 1932, based in Williamsport, Pa.
  • July 14, 1935, renamed Williamsport at Altoona and assigned to Superintendent, Susquehanna Division, based in Williamsport.
  • 1946, trucks changed to 2D-P5.
  • As of February 1953, stored in Altoona.
  • August 1953, sold to DT&I RR, becoming their #1907, Dearborn. Rebuilt with air conditioning.
  • Later soid to West Virginia Northern Railroad, stored in Aberdeen, NC, and renamed The Catoctin, renumbered 100.
DTI 1907 Dearborn Lima OH. 11 6 69 Screenshot 2024 01 27 at 5.22.16 PM

 

Business Car 7529, YoungstownClevelandMichigan

Class Z62.

Division Superintendent's Car

Built at Altoona May 21, 1929 as one of 11 cars in 1928 program.

  • As of October 1, 1929, named Youngstown and assigned to Superintendent, Cleveland, E&A, and Akron divisions, based in Cleveland.
  • April 8, 1937, renamed Cleveland at Wilmington and assigned to General Superintendent, Cleveland and C&P divisions, based in Cleveland.
  • June 17, 1944, name removed from car at Altoona.
  • May 16, 1946, 2D-P5 trucks from P70 3638 installed at Chicago.
  • October 11, 1946, renamed Michigan at Altoona and assigned to Chief Engineer, GSMP, Western Region, based in Chicago.
  • May 1953, scrapped.

Business Car 7530, ToledoFt. WayneBuffaloWilliamsport

Class Z62. Reclassified Z62R.

Division Superintendent's Car

Built at Altoona June 18, 1929 as one of 11 cars in 1928 program.

  • As of October 1, 1929, named Toledo and assigned to superintendents, Chicago Terminal, Ft. Wayne, Logansport, Grand Rapids, and Toledo divisions, based in Toledo.
  • December 6, 1930, renamed Ft. Wayne.
  • As of January 1, 1932, based in Wilmington, Del.
  • January 30, 1933, renamed Wilminton at Wilmington and assigned to General Superintendent, Southern Division and superintendents Maryland and Delmarva diviisons, based in Delmarva, Md. 2E-P2 trucks installed.
  • October 22, 1940, ice-activated air-conditioning installed at Altoona. 2E-P2 trucks reclassified 2E5P2.
  • June 2, 1944, renamed Buffalo at Pitcairn and assigned to General Superintendent, Northern Division and superintendents, Buffalo and Renovo divisions, based in Buffalo.
  • As of 1947, stored at Wilmington.
  • As of January 1952, assigned to Superintendent, Susquehanna Division, Eastern Region, based in Williamsport.
  • February 1952, renamed Williamsport.
  • As of 1955, stored at Wilmington Passenger Car Shop.
  • As of September 1957, stored at Altoona.
  • As of August 1960, stored under cover at Altoona.
  • April 1963, donated to Ohio Railway Museum, renamed Ohio.
prr bc530alr PRR 7530 TV8306S6128

 

Business Car 7531, ColumbusCape Charles

Class Z62. Reclassified Z62R.

Division Superintendent's Car

Built at Altoona November 22, 1929 as one of 11 cars in 1928 program.

  • As of October 1, 1929, named Columbus and assigned to superintendents, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus and Cincinnati divisions, based in Columbus.
  • As of January 1, 1932, based in Indianapolis.
  • June 26, 1941, ice-activated air-conditioning installed at Altoona; reclassified as Z62R. As of 1949, stored at Wilmington.
  • As of December 7, 1950, in temporary use by MW Dept., Pittsburgh.
  • As of January 28, 1952, assigned to Superintendent, Delmarva Division, Eastern Region, based in Cape Charles.
  • February 1952, renamed Cape Charles.
  • By 1955, 2E-P2 trucks in use.
  • As of 1955 stored at Wilmington Freight Repair Shop.
  • As of September 1957, stored in Altoona.
  • By August 1960, stored under cover at Altoona.
  • June 1961, sold to C. C. Stahl, Valley Novelty Works, Bloomsburg, Pa., and renamed Alice May and renumbered 100.
  • As of 1971 on display at Bloomsburg, Pa. Flooded out (likely Hurricane Agnes in 1972) and likely scrapped.

 Elevation and Floor Plan

z62 z62 fp