The G34 were of riveted construction at a time when most cars were welded. The 46'-0" interior length cars had a 70-ton capacity, straight sides, a flat bottom and fixed ends. The sides featured 11 pressed side stakes and a straight center sill. The G34 were built and leased from Bethlehem Steel starting in October 1950.
Cars on the PRR roster (as listed in the Official Railway Equipment Register (ORER)):
|Class||Car||Number||AAR Class||PRR Oct 44||PRR Oct 48||PRR Apr 52||PRR Oct 53||PRR Oct 58||PRR Oct 63||PRR Apr 68|
|Roster data compiled by Rich Orr. From prr.raailfan.net.|
No HO scale models of the G34 have been produced to date.
Nearly 700 G34 were upgraded to G34A starting in June 1966. The sides and ends were replaced with fixed horizontal corrugated panels. The capacity increased to 76-tons.
No HO scale models of the G34A have been produced to date.