PENNSYRR.COM by Jerry Britton

PRR 439048 G26 34view

The G26 was the first 65'6" gondola on the Pennsy. It was designed for transport of large structural shapes.

 

Types of trucks used

ClassCarNumbersTruck ClassTruck NameQty cars:
G26     2E-F4    
G26     2E-F4a    
G26     2E-F6a Buckeye  
G26     2E-F7 National  
G26     2E-F8 Dalman  
G26a 440910 441409 2E-F19 Barrett-Whitehead 500
G26a     2E-F18 Young  
G26a     2E-F17 National Malleable  
Truck data is from PRR documents circa 1940's. Other truck classes may also have been used.
From prr.railfan.net.

 

Cars on the PRR roster (as listed in the Official Railway Equipment Register (ORER)):

ClassCarNumberAAR ClassPRR Oct 44PRR Oct 48PRR Apr 52PRR Oct 53PRR Oct 58PRR Oct 63PRR Apr 68
G26 439009 440709 GB 1650 1649 1649 1649 1645 1630 581
G26a 440710 441409 GB 700 699 699 699 697 696 236
G26c 440710 441409 GB - - - - - - 91
G26d 441181 - GB - - - - - - 1
Roster data compiled by Rich Orr. From prr.railfan.net.

 

G26

 G26 Load

 

The G26 had riveted steel sides, steel floors, with Dreadnaught drop ends. The initial 1,700 cars were built by the Altoona Works, Enola Car Shop, and the Pitcairn Car Shop between October 1930 and May 1931. They were built with a variety of lever-type power brakes, including Klasing and Universal.

The Lehigh Valley purchased 50 G26 cars between July 1934 and January 1935 and numbered them 34000-34049.

Eastern Car Works offered the G26 as a plastic kit (out of business). Precision Scale offered the G26 in brass. Decals are available from Mount Vernon Shops.


G26A

G26a car 440710 side view at Pitcairn Pa 

 

The G26A was nearly identical to the G26, with the exception of a longer rib in the center of the fishbelly section. Seven hundred were built by the Pitcairn Car Shop and the Altoona Works between September 1940 and April 1942.

Norfolk & Western acquired 25 new G26A (N&W 70500-70524) as their class G3.

Eastern Car Works offered the G26 as a plastic kit (out of business).


G26C

The G26C were 300 rebuilds of random G26 and G26A that began in January 1966. They sported seven long side stacks within the fishbelly section versus two on the G26 or three on the G26A.


G26D

G26D was a single car (#441181) appearing in June 1966 and featured higher sides (5'6" vs. 3'6") and a nailable steel floor.


 G26S

In the mid-1960s, thirty cars were modified for MoW service for the transport of panelized turnouts and were reclassified G26S.