Heritage: Pennsylvania Railroad
CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Main Line
Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Main Line
The tiny hamlet of Hawstone was named for Haws Refractory Co., a fire brick manufacturer located there from 1910-66. Actual factory ruins are hard to find but the stone from which the bricks were made can be easily found throughout the narrow valley.
Haws' Refractories Co. No. 1 (MP 55.6)
Hawstone and the Hawstone Silica Plant......located on the south side of the Juniata River in the Lewistown Narrows. The village of Hawstown is in both Mifflin and Juniata Counties. Before the 1910's there was nothing on that side of the river. The Village of Haws is about 5 miles east of Lewistown and even had it's own post office, the post office was named Haws. In the beginning Hawstone was only accessible by train being located along the PRR mainline. The Hawstone Plant began producing bricks in 1917. The plant had 12 kilns, each kiln would hold 125,000 bricks. Daily production was 55,000 bricks, Most of the materials for the bricks came from the mountain surrounding the plant. In 1928 a road was built from Lewistown to Mifflin in Juniata County (Hawstone Road/Part 333).
William H. Haws, General Manager, after twelve years of experimenting invented a practical machine for making silica brick and silica shapes which will make these brick uniform in dimension and uniform in density. Mr. Haws has covered this invention with three United States Patents. Mr. Henry Y. Haws and Mr. David Barry have each purchased a one-fourth interest in these patents. (Mifflin County Pennsylvania Memories)
Station (MP 55.9)
Haws' Refractories Co. No. 2 (MP 56.2)