DSC 0001

Heritage: Pennsylvania Railroad

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Main Line

Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Main Line

 

Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (1911)

maps1 10426 large maps1 10426 large maps1 10426 large
maps1 10426 large maps1 10426 large maps1 10426 large
maps1 10426 large maps1 10426 large maps1 10426 large
maps1 10426 large maps1 10426 large  

 

HU

Huntingdon

Distance from Harrisburg...

96.8 Juniata Supply Co.

96.9 Penna. Edison Co. No. 2

96.9 Public Track and Reeves-Parvin Co.

97.0 Station

hunt station pc hunt east
Huntingdon Station photo E.03.12 HBT train at Union Depot
hunt from blair  
Pennsylvania Railroads Passenger Station in Huntingdon in October of 1965  

Junc. Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad 

HL

Huntingdon

98.2 Long Siding

HUNT Tower

   
huntingdon ice platform huntingdon ice
Huntingdon Ice  

HU

Huntingdon

97.3 J. C. Blair Co.

HOR.01.01 Blair Complex JC blair
J.C. Blair post card  

97.4 David E. Strait

97.4 Public Track

97.5 Public Track and S. D. Straight & Son

97.9 Libby-Owens Fibre Glass Co.

The manufacturing facility in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, has produced fiberglass reinforcements for more than 70 years. Originally built in 1917 as a silk mill, the plant switched to fiberglass production in the 1940s when Owens Corning and the U.S. government partnered to manufacture materials for World War II.

After the war, Owens Corning added the factory to its composites business, expanding production to continuous filament mat (CFM) in 1962. Owens Corning, and later its AGY joint venture with Porcher Industries of France, operated the Huntingdon manufacturing facility until Huntingdon Fiberglass Products took ownership in 2013.

SUSPECT INFO -- Per Matthew Hurst, Libby-Owens became Owens Corning. They received fiberglass pellets via privately-owned covered hoppers:

Libby Owens Ford LOFX

HO scale decals for these hoppers are available from Mask Island Decals:

Scan 360 e1533570444342

98.5 Weiner Warehouse Co.

   

??? Supplee-Wills-Jones

Though not listed, for some reason, there was a Supplee creamery at this location. It -- and one at Bedford served via the Huntingdon & Broad Top -- each received and shipped one car daily.

The private cars, of MDT design, looked like a box car but contained two milk tanks. The exterior of the car was noteworthy for having raised lettering. Though only nine cars were reported as of 1946 (below), the fleet grew to 21.

Supplee SWJX

292

Huntingdon

98.8 Shop Car Siding

 

Huntingdon Scrapbook