The Tecumseh Tannery was built in 1866 by Jason Hanks. It was purchased in 1872 by the J. B. Hoyt Company of New York, becoming one of Bedford County's largest industries. The tannery was located on North Spring Street in the vicinity of where Hinish’s Car Wash is located today. The tannery employed about 100 men and stayed in operation until it burned in 1908.