Heritage: Pennsylvania Railroad
CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Main Line
Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Main Line
The settlement of what is now McVeytown was begun by Samuel Holliday in 1755. But it wasn’t until 1762 that he settled in permanently and not until 1795 that the town of Waynesburg (present day McVeytown) was laid out. John McVey owned the land and was the founder of McVeytown.
Although the railroad referred to this location as McVeytown, McVeytown was technically on the opposite side of the Juniata River. The village on the railroad side of the river was Manayunk. The Pennsylvania Railroad reached McVeytown in 1849. Public passenger train service to and from McVeytown commenced on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1849.
From volume eight, number three, of The Keystone:
Q32: What is the story on the interlocking and crossovers that were to be installed near McVeytown, Pa. to break up the 24-mile long block between "Lewis" and "Jacks" Towers on the Middle Division?
A32: The project was authorized in September 1945- Four crossovers were installed between tracks 1 and 2 and tracks 3 and 4 during 1946. The interlocking was to be remotely controlled from a planned new fireproof tower at "Jacks". For some reason the project was abandonned and the new switches were apparently never put into operation. Boards were installed to hold the switches in place. After a year or two the switches were removed. "Jacks" Tower was never changed.
Distance from Harrisburg...
Station (MP 72.5)
There were separate freight and passenger structures on the north side of the main tracks at McVeytown. In the earlier years, a watch tower protected the road crossing. Here are two views of the passenger station:
The freight station was built in 1888.
H. O. Andrews No. 2 (MP 72.5)
Steve Cutshall indicates that Andrews was a feed/grain operation, also on the north side of the main tracks. It was listed as J. T. Rodgers in 1923 CT1000. It was listed as W. M. Atkinson No. 1 and No. 2 in the 1900 CT1000.
According to millpictures.com, the mill is situated between Hares Valley Creek & Scrub Run, both tributaries to the Juniata River,but it was powered by neither. The current operators run the business as the Mapleton Farm and Garden, featuring quality feeds, Reading Anthracite Coal, and fuel/heating oil. Many sheds and storage buildings flank the old mill on either side. The mill, built in 1914, retains some of its original equipment, but was never water-powered.
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places on 03/20/90.
Steve Cutshall indicates that was a team track on the south side of the main tracks. It is shown on the 1955 signal chart, but there is no entry in the CT1000's.