Heritage: Pennsylvania Railroad
CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Main Line
Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Main Line
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (1911)
Distance from Harrisburg...
Juniata Supply Co. (MP 96.8)
Penna. Edison Co. No. 2 (MP 96.9)
Public Track and Reeves-Parvin Co. (MP 96.9)
Station (MP 97.0)
The Pennsylvania Railroad had trackage rights into the first mile or so of the H&BTM, known as Long Siding (below).
Long Siding (MP 98.2)
J. C. Blair Co. (MP 97.3)
David E. Strait (MP 97.4)
Public Track (MP 97.4)
Public Track and S. D. Straight & Son (MP 97.5)
Libby-Owens Fibre Glass Co. (MP 97.9)
The manufacturing facility in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, has produced fiberglass reinforcements for more than 70 years. Originally built in 1917 as a silk mill, the plant switched to fiberglass production in the 1940s when Owens Corning and the U.S. government partnered to manufacture materials for World War II.
After the war, Owens Corning added the factory to its composites business, expanding production to continuous filament mat (CFM) in 1962. Owens Corning, and later its AGY joint venture with Porcher Industries of France, operated the Huntingdon manufacturing facility until Huntingdon Fiberglass Products took ownership in 2013.
SUSPECT INFO -- Per Matthew Hurst, Libby-Owens became Owens Corning. They received fiberglass pellets via privately-owned covered hoppers:
HO scale decals for these hoppers are available from Mask Island Decals:
Weiner Warehouse Co. (MP 98.5)
Supplee-Wills-Jones (MP ???)
Though not listed, for some reason, there was a Supplee creamery at this location. It -- and one at Bedford served via the Huntingdon & Broad Top -- each received and shipped one car daily.
The private cars, of MDT design, looked like a box car but contained two milk tanks. The exterior of the car was noteworthy for having raised lettering. Though only nine cars were reported as of 1946 (below), the fleet grew to 21.
Shop Car Siding (MP 98.8)