Mount Dallas was the southern terminus of the H&BTM. There is interchanged with the PRR with a connection to Cumberland, Md. The H&BTM had traffic rights over the PRR to Bedford, primarily for access to the Supplee milk plant there.
Between Everett and Mount Dallas, there was a "branch" making a sweeping 180-degree turn as it crossed the river to the south side. There it served the Earlston Furnace. This was called the Thropp bridge.
Built in 1884 by the Everett Iron Company, it consumed ore from the Black Valley. The furnace went idle shortly after opening, but was put back into operation when the company was purchased by Joseph Thropp in 1889 and put into blast in 1890. The furnace was shut down in 1923, and the company went bankrupt in 1933. In June 1933, the plant was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Corporation, who began dismantling it in June of 1934.
|View west. Turnpike in foreground. (Bloody Run Historical Society)
|View east. (Bloody Run Historical Society)
Beyond Mount Dallas, the H&BTM had trackage rights on the PRR into Bedford. There the PRR installed a turntable where the H&BTM could turn power.