Track Segment Series

The Track Segment series documents track segments as indicated in the CT1000 of 1945 in conjunction with the Employee Timetables of 1954. Where available, locations indicated may link to a corresponding On Location series article for more detailed information.

The Columbia and Port Deposit Railroad (C&PD) was a railroad that operated in Pennsylvania and Maryland in the 19th and early 20th centuries. It operated a 34-mile long main line between Columbia, Pennsylvania, and Port Deposit, Maryland, generally along the eastern shore of the Susquehanna River. It later acquired a branch line to Perryville, Maryland. The C&PD was subsequently purchased by the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and, since the 1999 breakup of Conrail, is owned by Norfolk Southern Railway. (Wikipedia)

Mann Edge 1925

The Lewistown Secondary is a 2.3 mile stretch of track from Lewistown (on the Middle Division main line) to the junction with the Milroy Secondary and the Selinsgrove Secondary.

Mifflin Centre County StockThe Lewistown Secondary has its roots in the Mifflin & Centre County Railroad, which was incorporated April 2, 1860, to build from Lewistown to a point near Milesburg in Centre County. The Pennsylvania Railroad Company invested in the new railroad and construction began in February 1863. The line reached Reedsville, a distance of seven miles, by May 1, 1865. The line entered into a 999-year operating lease with the Pennsylvania Railroad, dated May 27, 1865.

By January 6, 1868, the line extended another 5.4 miles from Reedsville to Milroy, which proved to be its final terminus.

Under PRR management, the Mifflin & Centre County and the Sunbury & Lewistown, effective December 1, 1871, were formed into a separate operational unit known as the Lewistown Division. The Sunbury & Lewistown met the Mifflin & Centre County about two miles east of the main line at Lewistown as its western terminus.

The Lewisburg and Tyrone Railroad (later Railway), previously the Lewisburg, Centre and Spruce Creek Railroad, was a subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) in central Pennsylvania. Originally intended to connect the Susquehanna Valley with Tyrone and the ore lands to its northeast, it was built in two discontinuous and never-connected pieces, one from Tyrone to Fairbrook and one from Lewisburg to Lemont. These served as lightly trafficked branches of the PRR into the early 20th Century. The line from Tyrone to Fairbrook passed into the hands of the short lineBellefonte Central Railroad in 1927, but the PRR's manipulations ensured its abandonment in 1941. The line between Lewisburg and Lemont was severed in 1970 and was gradually cut further back towards Montandon. Regular service ended on the last remaining part of the line in 1997, and it was abandoned in 2008.

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the Laurelton Branch based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Click on the link of a location for more information (if available).

LocationName
     Junc. Williamsport Division - Bellefonte Branch
7393  Laurelton, Pa.   

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the Mercersburg Branch based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Click on the link of a location for more information (if available).

LocationName
GS70   Mercersburg Junction, Pa.  Junc. Philadelphia Division - South Penn Branch
GM72  Mercersburg, Pa.  

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the South Penn Branch based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Click on the link of a location for more information (if available).

LocationName
G58   Marion, Pa.  Junc. Philadelphia Division - Cumberland Valley Branch
   Greencastle Road, Pa.  
   Hother, Pa.  
   Stone Bridge, Pa.  
GS64  Williamson, Pa.  
GS68  Lehmasters, Pa.  
GS70  Mercersburg Junction, Pa.  Junc. Philadelphia Division - Mercersburg Branch
GM71  Cromer, Pa.  
   Parnob, Pa.  
GS71  Gap Road, Pa.  
GS72  Creigh, Pa.  
   Lewis, Pa.  
GS74  Fort Loudon, Pa.  
GS76  Tascott, Pa.  
GS77  Richmond, Pa.  

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the Dillsburg Branch based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Click on the link of a location for more information (if available).

LocationName
G9   Dillsburg Junction, Pa.  Junc. Philadelphia Division - Cumberland Valley Branch
GD9A  Trindle Spring, Pa.  
GD13A   Williams Grove, Pa.  
GD16  Dillsburg, Pa.  

The Williamsport & Linden Branch was built to allow traffic to bypass the congestion of Williamsport. Around 1960 it actually became the "main line" and the connection to Williamsport became the "branch". A record dated 6/8/61 and requested permission to abandon .75 miles between MP 249 and 250, which is Allens tower to approximately the passenger station in Williamsport. 

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the Williamsport Division Williamsport & Linden Branch, based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the Williamsport Division Newberry Branch, based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the Williamsport Division Bald Eagle Branch, based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Burnham2C PA 1917 ICC photo2C Robert Johnson Coll

The Milroy Secondary began life as the Mifflin and Centre County Railroad (M&CC), incorporated on April 2, 1860. The Pennsylvania Railroad assisted in the construction of the first seven miles of the line, to Reedsville, which was completed by May 1, 1865. The M&CC then initiated a 999 year lease with the PRR to operate the line. By January 6, 1868, the line reached Milroy.

In 1896, the M&CC merged with the nearby Sunbury & Lewistown Railway Company. The PRR executed a new 79 year operating lease on October 1, 1896. Several minor reorgs occured, culminating in the line being merged into the Pennsylvania Railroad as of April 1, 1902.

Having spent most of its life operating as part of the PRR's Lewistown Division, the newly absorbed line was detached for operating purposes from the Pennsylvania Railroad Grand Division and became part of the Philadelphia and Erie Grand Division.

No later than 1911, the line was part of the Sunbury Division. Sometime before September 25, 1927, the line was transferred to the Middle Division. 

See: Milroy Secondary Divisional Heritage.

The Kishacoquillas Valley R. R. operated passenger trains over the branch under an operating agreement through 1941. When passenger traffic was discontinued, the branch was redesignated a secondary, which changed the rules under which it operated.