Interchange Series

The Interchange series contains articles about railroads that interchanged with the Pennsy, including fleet statistics and paint schemes with era-appropriateness guidance. A few noteworthy or pertinent freelance model railroads are included.

supplee

The Supplee-Wills-Jones Company had its headquarters and main plant in Philadelphia, Pa. The company operated multiple creameries along the PRR system in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, and Delaware or along railroads that interchanged with the PRR.

Milk was transported in company-owned cars. These milk tank cars, although looking externally like reefers, actually contained two glass-lined tanks which were handled as an express car on train due to the timelines of transporting whole milk to creameries where it could be processed into various dairy products.

Though only nine cars were reported in 1946 (below), the fleet grew to 21.

On the Pennsy Middle Division, creameries were located at Lewistown, Huntingdon, and Bedford, I have been unable to locate any further details about the Lewistown operation, but there is a decent amount of info on the other two.

Empty milk cars for Huntingdon and Bedford were sent west on train #13, a Mail and Express train. Though photos are lacking, it has been said that the cars were at the back of the train, after the caboose, to expedite switching at Huntingdon.

Although the Pennsy had connectivity to Bedford via Altoona and the Bedford Branch, the cars were routed over the Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad because it was a more direct route. The H&BTM delivered the Bedford car to Bedford via trackage rights on the Pennsy's short Mt. Dallas Branch.

hbtm37 bedford 19510000001 hbtm37 bedford 19510000002 
 

The loaded cars were picked up by the eastbound train # need train.

In 1954 the PRR outlawed hauling milk by long-haul rail and these cars were permanently removed from service.

The model specific prototype for Supplee Milk cars 4 through 9 have been produced by Athearn Roundhouse as their 40’ Pflauder Milk Car. Cars 1 through 3 were similar in dimension and weight, but had a peaked roof and exposed side sills. They can be built by modifying the Athearn car.

The “Supplee Milk” lettering was raised off the side of the car using an approximately 2” thick piece of metal.

Matthew Hurst, PRRT&HS, offers lettering cutouts to simulate the raised lettering, to be used in conjunction with decals from Mount Vernon Shops.

 

 

The Allegheny Midland (AM) was the model railroad of Tony Koester, a prolific author in the model railroad press. Tony championed Allen McClelland's "beyond the basement" concept for layout staging... setting the model railroad into real world geography where it interchanges with other railroads.

VO

The Virginian and Ohio (V&O) was the model railroad of Allen McClelland, one of the most known freelance railroads that has appeared in the modeling press, books, and videos many times over the past few decades. Allen is largely credited with the "beyond the basement" concept for layout staging... setting the model railroad into real world geography where it interchanges with other railroads.

The Virginian & Ohio (V&O) Historical Society maintains a FaceBook page dedicated to preserving the history of V&O Railroad created by Allen. His son Brad is a very active participant on the page.

d161 pfe92157

Pacific Fruit Express (reporting mark PFE) was an American railroad refrigerator car leasing company that at one point was the largest refrigerator car operator in the world.

The company was founded on December 7, 1906 as a joint venture between the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific railroads. It began operation on October 1, 1907, with a fleet of 6,600 refrigerator cars built by the American Car and Foundry Company (ACF). The company was founded on December 7, 1906 as a joint venture between the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific railroads. It began operation on October 1, 1907, with a fleet of 6,600 refrigerator cars built by the American Car and Foundry Company (ACF).

Publicker-Ward Distilling Co.

TIchy - Special run from the Susquehanna Division of the Mid Eastern Region of the National Model Railroad Association in 2017.

publicker ward

 

Gulf States Creosoting Company

Known correct for 1929:

Intermountain

46342wl

 

RR 33054awl

Tidewater Oil Company (rendered as Tide Water Oil Company from 1887 to 1936) was a major petroleum refining and marketing concern in the United States for more than 80 years. Tidewater was best known for its Flying A–branded products and gas stations, and for Veedol motor oil, which was known throughout the world.

 46213wl

The Solvay Process Company (1880–1985) was a pioneer chemical industry of the United States in the manufacture of soda ash and a major employer in Central New York. The company was the origin of the village of Solvay.

46323wl

Canadian General Transit was first listed as the Canadian Tank Car Co. in March 1932, with name changed to the Canadian General Transit Co., Ltd. in May 1932. Original reporting marks were CATX, with CGTX reporting marks introduced in July 1932 (CATX reporting mark gone by July 1933). Name changed to CGTX in January 1981, changed to GATX Rail Canada Corp. in April 2002. CGRX reporting marks introduced for refrigerator cars in April 1961, eliminated Ocrtober 1962. CGLX reporting marks introduced in April 1957. CGMX reporting marks introduced in July 1982 for former CGBX cars not being transferred to Procor, Ltd.

46340awl

440px Koppers logo.svgKoppers is a global chemical and materials company based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States in an art-deco 1920s skyscraper, the Koppers Tower.

Koppers is an integrated global producer of carbon compounds, chemicals, and treated wood products for the aluminum, railroad, specialty chemical, utility, rubber, steel, residential lumber, and agriculture industries. It serves customers through a comprehensive global manufacturing and distribution network with facilities located in North America, South America, Australasia, China, and Europe.Koppers is an integrated global producer of carbon compounds, chemicals, and treated wood products for the aluminum, railroad, specialty chemical, utility, rubber, steel, residential lumber, and agriculture industries. It serves customers through a comprehensive global manufacturing and distribution network with facilities located in North America, South America, Australasia, China, and Europe.

Koppers operates three principal businesses: Performance Chemicals, Railroad and Utility Products and Services, and Carbon Materials and Chemicals.

RR 33004awl

620px Texaco logo.svgTexaco, Inc. ("The Texas Company") is an American oil subsidiary of Chevron Corporation. Its flagship product is its fuel "Texaco with Techron". It also owns the Havoline motor oil brand. Texaco was an independent company until its refining operations merged into Chevron Corporation in 2001, at which time most of its station franchises were divested to the Shell Oil Company. It began as the Texas Fuel Company, founded in 1901 in Beaumont, Texas, by Joseph S. Cullinan, Thomas J. Donoghue, Walter Benona Sharp, and Arnold Schlaet upon the discovery of oil at Spindletop.