Track Segment Series

The Track Segment series documents track segments as indicated in the CT1000 of 1945 in conjunction with the Employee Timetables of 1954. Where available, locations indicated may link to a corresponding On Location series article for more detailed information.

Harrisburg Station 1912

The Philadelphia Division maintained its identity over the (then) modern era of the Pennsy. It existed as of 1941 as part of the Eastern Pennsylvania Grand Division. In the 1956 reorganization, it absorbed the Philadelphia Terminal Division to become the Philadelphia Operating Region. In 1964 it was split into the Philadelphia and Harrisburg operating divisions.

4162 helper

L1s #4162 helps a passenger train ascend around Horseshoe Curve.

The Pittsburgh Division largely maintained its identity throughout the (then) modern era of the railroad. The Pittsburgh Division existed within the Western Pennsylvania Grand Division as of the 1941 reorganization. In the 1951 reorganization, the Monongahela Division was absorbed by the Pittsburgh Division. In the 1956 reorganization into Operating Regions, the Pittsburgh Region absorbed the Middle, Connemaugh, Eastern, and Panhandle divisions.


The Middle Division traces back to at least the 1860s. For the greatest span of its (then) modern life (1941-1956), the Pennsy's Middle Division main line spanned from BANKS tower (exclusive) near Marysville, Pa., to SLOPE tower near Altoona, Pa. During the 1956 reorganization, the Middle Division was absorbed into the Pittsburgh Operating Region. 

The Sunbury and Lewistown Railroad was a Class I Railroad connecting Lewistown, Pennsylvania with Sunbury, Pennsylvania. Completed in December 1871, the line was placed under an immediate lease by the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR), upon its completion. Although retaining its own board of directors and track maintenance, all locomotive traffic was owned by the PRR. For over eighty years, the line operated between Sunbury and Lewistown, serving as a relief line for both the Pennsylvania Main Line and Bald Eagle Valley Railroad through Williamsport, Pennsylvania. The line was noteworthy as a proving ground for new railroad technology in the United States, such as the "X"-shaped railroad crossing signs in 1917 (now nearly ubiquitous in the United States) and Pulse Code Cab Signaling technology in 1925. It is now a fallen flag railway, the name "Sunbury and Lewistown" having been phased out in 1901 when the line became part of the Pennsylvania Railroad's Sunbury Division.

Elmira Station

For a minimal distance, the Pennsylvania Railroad's Elmira Branch used trackage rights through Elmira, N.Y., on the Erie Railroad.

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the Williamsport Division Main Line, starting in Hecks, Pa. (exclusive), to Renovo, Pa. (inclusive), based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the Bellefonte Branch, starting in Lewisburg, Pa., to Bellefonte, Pa. (exclusive), based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Click on the link of a location for more information (if available).


The Northern Central Railway originally ran from Baltmore, Md. to Sodus Point, N.Y. It was assimilated into the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1911. Thereafter it was segmented into various divisions and names. Only the segment from Baltimore to Wago Junction, Pa., retained the original name of the Northern Central Railway.

york haven early

The York Haven Line has its roots in the independent Northern Central Railway which fully merged into the Pennsy in the 1910s. In the early 1900s, in conjunction with the construction of Enola Yard, the Atglen & Susquehanna "low grade" route from Enola to Parkesburg was constructed. From Enola to Wago junction, the two two-track lines paralleled each other, appearing as a four track main. This segment was collectively named the York Haven Line.