The Pennsy Modeler
In order to portray Pennsylvania Railroad and interchange partners as accurately as possible, this blog contains articles which are essentially notes to myself, but are shared should the community desire the same information.
Articles are sorted by modification date, so if an existing article receives an update it will be presented at the top of the list again.
- Hits: 334
When is an EMD "F7A" an "EF15a"? When it's owned by the Pennsylvania Rail Road!
The Pennsy - The Standard Railroad Of The World - had its own system of classifying diesel locomotives, rather than relying on the designations appointed by the builders of the units.
When the Pennsy first started purchasing diesel locomotives, they extended the classification system used for steam and electric locomotives, which was based on wheel arrangements. This sort of worked, until the arrival of the EMD E7's. The E7's were paired so "one unit" would have 4,000 hp. This produced a "powered" wheel arrangement of 0-6-6-6-6-0!
- Hits: 1036
GATX Corporation (GATX) is an equipment finance company based in Chicago, Illinois. Founded in 1898, GATX's primary activities consist of railcar operating leasing in North America and Europe.
GATX derives its name from its primary reporting mark for its North American railcars, "GATX". The mark itself was derived from GATX's prior corporate name, "General American Transportation Corporation". History includes GATX working with famous designer Russel Wright to develop "Meladur", a famous melamine dinnerware from 1943-1945, using Melmac by American Cyanamid which was to be used on passenger cars and in hospitals marked with the name "General American".  Since all non-railroad owners of railcars must append an "X" to the end of their mark, GAT became GATX. GATX mainly applies the GATX mark to tank cars, although the mark has been used in other examples such as with hoppers; GATX's primary freightcar marks are GACX (for general-service freight cars), GGPX (for coal cars), GIMX (for intermodal cars), GPLX (for plastic pellet cars), GMTX and LLPX (for locomotives), and GPFX (for pressure-differential cars). GATX also owns a number of other marks, including GABX, GAEX, GFSX, GOHX, GSCX, IPSX, and TRIX. Many GATX cars carry a large "GATX" logo in the upper right-hand corner of the car regardless of the reporting mark they carry; this logo is applied for marketing reasons and does not have any operational significance.
- Hits: 811
EMD SW / SW1, Class ES6
The EMD SW1 is a 600-horsepower diesel-electric switcher locomotive built by General Motors' Electro-Motive Corporation (later Division) between December 1938 and November 1953. Final assembly was at EMD's plant at LaGrange (McCook) Illinois. The SW1 was the second generation of 3,402 cu in (55.75 L) switcher from EMD, succeeding the SC (cast frame) and SW (welded frame). The most significant change from those earlier models was the use of an engine of EMD's own design, the then-new 567 engine, here in 600 hp V6 form. 661 locomotives of this design were built, no SW1s were built after March 1943 until production started again in September 1945.
Like most long-running locomotive models, a number of changes were made to the SW1 over its production life. Internally, the post-war locomotives were somewhat improved, and used the 567A engine.
- Hits: 1053
This table cross references Pennsy steam locomotives by class, type, sub class, sub class designator, year of introduction, and availability of HO models.
Eventually, clicking on minor class number will link to a class-specific page which will include prototype builder data, specifications, unit rosters, and unit photos.
Models in bold are in my personal collection.
Corrections and additions to this page are welcome.
- Hits: 717
Alco S-1 and S-3, Class AS6
The ALCO S-1 and S-3 were 660 horsepower switcher diesel-electric locomotives produced by ALCO and their Canadian subsidiary Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW). The two locomotives differed only in trucks, with the S-1 using ALCO's own Blunt trucks, and the S-3 using AAR type A switcher trucks. The S-1 was built between April 1940 and June 1950, with a total of 543 completed, while the S-3 was constructed between February 1950 and November 1953 (MLW until 1957) with total sales of 300.
- Hits: 1342
Based on the Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Equipment Register dated 9/26/54.
A link in the Class column performs a search on the Varnish database and returns the individual car roster. However, the database performs a "contains" search, so a search on class "P70f" will also return "P70fa" records, etc., but not vice versa.
Note that during 1954, the Pennsy dropped the "R" suffix from the class designation which previously indicated air conditioning.
- Hits: 835
Baldwin VO-660, Class BS6
The Baldwin VO-660 was a diesel-electric locomotive switcher built by Baldwin Locomotive Works between April, 1939 and May, 1946. The 197,520–203,980 lb units were powered by a six-cylinder diesel engine rated at 660 horsepower, and rode on two-axle AAR Type-A switcher trucks in a B-B wheel arrangement. 142 examples of this model were built for American railroads, along with the United States Navy. Baldwin replaced the VO-660 with the model DS-4-4-660 in 1946.
- Hits: 40
GE U25B, Class GF25
The GE U25B was General Electric's first independent entry into the United States domestic road switcher diesel-electric locomotive railroad market for heavy production road locomotives since 1936. From 1940 through 1953, GE participated in a design, production, and marketing consortium (Alco-GE) for diesel-electric locomotives with the American Locomotive Company. In 1956 the GE Universal Series of diesel locomotives was founded for the export market. The U25B was the first attempt at the domestic market since its termination of the consortium agreement with Alco.
- Hits: 661
Baldwin RT-624, Class BS24 / BS24m
The Baldwin RT-624 was a twin-engined diesel-electric locomotive, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works between 1951 and 1954.
The RT-624, an improved version of the Baldwin DT-6-6-2000, was a center-cab transfer locomotive. Twenty-four locomotives were built using 6-cylinder turbocharged 606A prime movers during 1951–1954.
|Road Numbers||Qty||Class||Delivery||HO Scale Models|
- Hits: 672
FM H-16-44, Class FS16m
The FM H-16-44 was a road-switcher produced by Fairbanks-Morse from April 1950 – February 1963. The locomotive shared an identical platform and carbody with the predecessor Model FM H-15-44 (but not the FM H-20-44 end cab road switcher which used a different carbody and frame and a larger prime mover), and were equipped with the same eight-cylinder opposed piston engine that had been uprated to 1,600 horsepower. The H-16-44 was configured in a B-B wheel arrangement, mounted atop a pair of two-axle AAR Type-B road trucks with all axles powered. In late 1950, the AAR trucks were almost exclusively replaced with the same units found on the company's "C-liner" locomotives.
Page 2 of 16