An exploration of the glory days of transporting the POTUS (President of the United States) by rail. Discussion includes the Ferdinand Magellan, an armored rail car modified just for the task. A deep dive will focus on one specific trip over the Pennsylvania and the Bellefonte Central railroads.
Scheduled for the PRRT&HS Northern Central Chapter meeting on September 8th 2019; tentatively scheduled for RPM EAST in March 2020 and the PRRT&HS Annual Meeting in May 2020.
THE PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD'S YORK HAVEN LINE
A look at the pair of dual track main lines that ran from Wago Junction, Pa., to BANKS tower at Marysville, Pa,
Presented at the PRRT&HS Northern Central Chapter meeting in April 2012 and the PRRT&HS Annual Meeting in May 2012.
In The Works...
THE PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD'S MAIN LINE AT LEWISTOWN AND THE LEWISTOWN SECONDARY
A presentation of the history and infrastructure of the Pennsylvania Railroad's Middle Division at Lewistown, Pa., its yard there, and the Lewistown Secondary heading east from there. Discussion will include the speaker's modeling based on available information on the prototype.
THE PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD'S MILROY SECONDARY
A presentation of the history and infrastructure of the Pennsylvania Railroad's Milroy Secondary out of Lewistown, Pa.. Discussion will include the speaker's modeling based on available information on the prototype.
Although the railroad referred to this location as McVeytown, McVeytown was technically on the opposite side of the Juniata River and was originally founded as ______. The village on the railroad side of the river was Manayunk. The Pennsylvania Railroad reached McVeytown in 1849. Public passenger train service to and from McVeytown commenced on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1849.
From volume eight, number three, of The Keystone:
Q32: What is the story on the interlocking and crossovers that were to be installed near McVeytown, Pa. to break up the 24-mile long block between "Lewis" and "Jacks" Towers on the Middle Division?
A32: The project was authorized in September 1945- Four crossovers were installed between tracks 1 and 2 and tracks 3 and 4 during 1946. The interlocking was to be remotely controlled from a planned new fireproof tower at "Jacks". For some reason the project was abandonned and the new switches were apparently never put into operation. Boards were installed to hold the switches in place. After a year or two the switches were removed. "Jacks" Tower was never changed.
There were separate freight and passenger structures on the north side of the main tracks at McVeytown. In the earlier years, a watch tower protected the road crossing. Here are two views of the passenger station:
The freight station was built in 1888.
H. O. Andrews No. 2
Steve Cutshall indicates that Andrews was a feed/grain operation, also on the north side of the main tracks. It was listed as J. T. Rodgers in 1923 CT1000. It was listed as W. M. Atkinson No. 1 and No. 2 in the 1900 CT1000.
Steve Cutshall indicates that was a team track on the south side of the main tracks. It is shown on the 1955 signal chart, but there is no entry in the CT1000's.
The tiny hamlet of Hawstone was named for Haws Refractory Co., a fire brick manufacturer located there from 1910-66. Actual factory ruins are hard to find but the stone from which the bricks were made can be easily found throughout the narrow valley.
Haws' Refractories Co. No. 1 (MP 55.6)
Station (MP 55.9)
Haws' Refractories Co. No. 2 (MP 56.2)
Mifflin Sand Company
The Mifflin Sand Company was located on the north side of the main tracks. It was listed as Mifflin Sand Company in the 1923 CT1000. It was listed as McVeytown (Quarry) in the 1900 CT1000 as location 264.
|Mount Union prior to 1936.|
Bridge over Juniata River
Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Croghan Pike (522) and Juniata River on Norfolk Southern (former PRR).
Built 1906 by PRR, reinforced with concrete by Conrail ca. 1980.
This bridge has six segmental arch spans, each 100' long and 58' wide. The center pier's width was increased 20' making it 8' wider than the others which balances the classic aesthetic rules by giving it an easily identifiable center.
Passenger Station * (MP 86.7)
|Original PRR station in town before main line bypassed downtown.||1970 view of station.|
E. A. Beaver Co. (MP 86.7)
Harbison-Walker Co. (MP 86.7)
Transfer & Freight Station (MP 86.8)
Public Track (MP 86.9)
Station -- Transfer E. B. T. R. R. -- N. G. (MP 87.0)
General Refractories Co. No. 1 (MP 87.1)
|Company houses, 1990.|