Although the railroad referred to this location as McVeytown, McVeytown was technically on the opposite side of the Juniata River and was originally founded as ______. The village on the railroad side of the river was Manayunk. The Pennsylvania Railroad reached McVeytown in 1849. Public passenger train service to and from McVeytown commenced on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1849.
From volume eight, number three, of The Keystone:
Q32: What is the story on the interlocking and crossovers that were to be installed near McVeytown, Pa. to break up the 24-mile long block between "Lewis" and "Jacks" Towers on the Middle Division?
A32: The project was authorized in September 1945- Four crossovers were installed between tracks 1 and 2 and tracks 3 and 4 during 1946. The interlocking was to be remotely controlled from a planned new fireproof tower at "Jacks". For some reason the project was abandonned and the new switches were apparently never put into operation. Boards were installed to hold the switches in place. After a year or two the switches were removed. "Jacks" Tower was never changed.
There were separate freight and passenger structures on the north side of the main tracks at McVeytown. In the earlier years, a watch tower protected the road crossing. Here are two views of the passenger station:
The freight station was built in 1888.
H. O. Andrews No. 2
Steve Cutshall indicates that Andrews was a feed/grain operation, also on the north side of the main tracks. It was listed as J. T. Rodgers in 1923 CT1000. It was listed as W. M. Atkinson No. 1 and No. 2 in the 1900 CT1000.
Steve Cutshall indicates that was a team track on the south side of the main tracks. It is shown on the 1955 signal chart, but there is no entry in the CT1000's.