The Pennsylvania Midland Railroad, as described in this series of articles, is a freelance railroad created by Jerry Britton. The railroad is inspired by actual events and histories of related railroads in Mifflin and Centre counties of Pennsylvania. Past history is not changed, but leveraged to create future outcomes that never came to fruition.
At the other end of "The Big Valley" from the PM, the Kishacoquillas Valley Rail Roadhad operated a dozen miles of shortline between the agricultural town of Belleville and the town of Reedsville on the Pennsylvania Railroad's Milroy Branch.
Passenger service on the KV was on the decline and the only significant manufacturing interest on the line was the New Holland plant at Belleville. Agricultural traffic was not enough to support the line and the railroad declared bankruptcy late in 1940 and ceased operations in 1941.
Seeing the opportunity to finally implement a long-sought connection from Belleville to Huntingdon, and to develop agricultural business throughout the length of "The Big Valley", the Pennsylvania Midland purchased the assets of the KV at auction.
The war prevented the PM from making use of this acquisition until after VE day in 1945. At that time the KV right-of-way was serviced and made ready. Construction of new track between Belleville and the Britton sand plant to the south was completed and opened for service on June 13, 1946. Passenger serviced commenced between Reedsville and Huntingdon. Agricultural co-ops were established at the towns of Menno and Allensville.