IMG 1946

The LN destination is comprised of the Lewistown Secondary, Furnace Branch Siding, and the Milroy Secondary.

Milepost (MP) references are taken from the 1945 CT1000 and are distances from Lewistown passenger station.

Where street addresses are indicated, the years in parenthesis indicate first and last years confirmed in street directories. Entites could have been at the address before and after these dates.

 

The photos below are from the 1936 "Saint Patrick's Day Flood" and show many of the industries discussed later on this page:
flood1 flood2

 

Furnace Branch Siding

M. W. Brandt -- MP 1.4

Does anyone have photos of this business?

108 Chestnut Street. Listed as such in the 1949 and 1970 telephone directories.

Very large coal and building supplies dealer. Originally located a few blocks west where The Hoffman Company is located in the 1950s. Moved sometime between 1910 and 1923 (see below).

Shown as Lewistown Planing Mill Co. on 1910 Sanborn map.

Listed as Thompson Bros., M. W. Brandt in the 1923 CT1000. Listed as M. W. Brandt in the 1945 CT1000.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

Dan Cupper recollects that there were below-grade bins for coal receipt that were covered with steel panels when not in use. Underground conveyors fed the coal into the storage shed. There was a vertical-slat wood fence around the entire business and it was between the tracks and the coal shed. Dan does not know if the coal shed had stalls for various grades of coal or not.

 1910 Sanborn map:1910 lewistown planing mill 1923 Sanborn map:
1923 lewistown planing
1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 brandt
 

 

On the south side of the right-of-way, opposite the Chestnut Street passenger station, there were a number of entities that lacked private sidings but may have used nearby team tracks.

1910 Sanborn map:
other industries

 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 opposite side station
  2016 aerial image:
2016 southside buildings

 

 

Lewistown Frozen Foods

The 1910 Sanborn map shows this as the Lewistown Knitting Co. The 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1947, shows this as Montgomery Ward.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. The building no longer remains.

FaceBook discussion suggests this became Coble's Meat Warehouse. Deb Coble (FaceBook) wrote "it became a Lewistown Frozen Foods when my husbands grandfather bought the building around 1950. It later became Coble’s Foods when my husband’s father took over the business and then my husband owned and managed it after that."

Thompson Knitting Mill  cobles ice cream

Witman-Schwartz Co.

100 Chestnut Street -- Listed as Lewistown Frozen Food Service in the 1943-70 telephone directories.
80 Chestnut Street -- Listed as Lewistown Wholesale Grocery Company in the 1949-54 telephone directories; no listing 1970.
70 Chestnut Street -- Listed as Weis Whole Food Stores in 1952-54 telephone directories; vacant in 1970.

The 1910 Sanborn map shows this location as the Witman-Schwartz Company, a wholesale grocer, next to an empty lot. The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see above) shows this structure as a wholesale grocer and it has expanded, consuming half of the open lot to the east.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. This building remained in 2016.

grocery warehouse grocery warehouse3 grocery warehouse2
grocery warehouse4 grocery warehouse side  

Former Electric Generating Plant

The 1910 Sanborn map shows this structure as a former electric generating plant, as vacant. The building remains in the 1928 Sanborn map, shown as a warehouse.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. By 2016, it had long-since been replaced by another building.

Does anyone have photos of this structure?

The Hoffman Company

The 1910 Sanborn shows this location as an empty lot. The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see above), shows a structure labeled "building materials warehouse".

The structure remains in 2016 and still shows itself as part of The Hoffman Company.

Does anyone have 1950s era photos of this business?

2016 photo:
P1010553
2016 photo:
P1010554

The Hoffman Company -- MP 1.5

Need photos.

12 Depot Street -- Listed as such in 1943-70 telephone directories.

Listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown as M. W. Brandt on 1910 Sanborn map (right). Brandt moved a few blocks east sometime between 1910 and 1923 (see above). Dealer of coal and lumber. Coal trestle facing freight station. Shown as Hoffman Company on 1928 Sanborn map (see below). It appears that when the Penn Edison siding was removed next door, The Hoffman Company redesigned their one building and created a second siding into their area.

Dan Cupper recalls that the trestle was open on both sides as you could see "through" it from the yard.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. In the 2016 aerial image, below, the structure along the bottom appears to be part of the original structure.

1910 Sanborn map:1910 brandt

 Aerial image post 1972:

dorcas aerial 1970s

1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 hoffman co penn edison
1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 hoffman supply
2016 photo:
hoffman1
2016 photo:
hoffman2
2016 aerial photo:
2016 hoffman
 

Texas Co. -- MP 1.5 

Need photos.

31 Depot Street. Listed in 1943 and 1952 telephone directories. No listing in 1970.

Listed as H. & H. Supply Co. No. 1 in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000 as M. H. Wiker No. 1. This track is on the north side, facing the freight station.

Shown as H.C. Jackson Supply Co. on 1910 Sanborn map. Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, as the Texas Company, a bulk oil dealer.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. Not existing as of 2016.

1910 Sanborn map: 1910 jackson 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 texas co east penn gas
jacksonswarf Jackson Wharf

East Penn Gas Co. -- MP 1.5 

33 South Dorcas Street. Listed as Atlantic States Gas Company in 1943 telephone directory. No listing in 1952 directory, Shown as Western Auto in 1970.

Listed as H. & H. Supply Co. No. 2 in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000 as M. H. Wiker No. 2 and Atlantic States Gas Co. This track would be a trestle on the back side.

Shown as H. C. Jackson Supply Co. on 1910 Sanborn map, as a dealer of coal, wood and feed. Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, as East Penn Gas Company, dealing in liquid gas.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. Not existing as of 2016.

Does anyone have 1950s era photos of this business?

  1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 texas co east penn gas

Penn Central Light and Power Co. No. 4

Listed in the 1923 CT1000. Not listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown on the 1910 Sanborn map. A boiler house and coal trestle are indicated. Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map and indicated in use as a service building and store house.

Does anyone have photos of this structure?

1910 Sanborn map:
penn power
 

Kishacoquillas Creek Bridge

kish bridge furnace

Sun Oil Co. No. 1 -- MP 1.8

Need photos and anecdotal information.

Not listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 sun oil co
 

J. Krentzman -- MP 1.8

krentzman logoNeed photos and anecdotal information.

125-129 South Main Street -- Listed as Joe Krentzman & Son (junk) in 1970 telephone directory.

Paul Fegley recalls that Joseph Krentzman & Sons was a scrap business in Lewistown, forced to move after the 1972 Agnes flood. At one time they absorbed the Juniata Iron & Steel Co. (below).

John Snyder also relates that Krentzman was a junk dealer.

Not listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Lewistown Ice & Storage Co. No. 1 and Juniata Iron & Steel Co. -- MP 1.8
Lewistown Ice & Storage Co. No. 2 -- MP 1.8

133-135 South Main Street -- Lewistown Ice & Storage listed in the 1970 telephone directory.

Incorporated in 1903 as the Heverly Manufacturing & Storage Company. Manufactured artificial ice, provided cold storage, and sold coal and other supplies. It is known that cold storage included apples and eggs. Ice was manufactured via an ammonia compressor (Common Ground, Summer 2019).

The company was reorganized in 1910 and renamed Lewistown Ice & Storage Company.

The company was owned and operated by WIlliam Riddleberer III from 1945 through 1975. The plant closed in the early 1990s.

Listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown as Heverly Mfg., Storage & Supply Co. on 1910 Sanborn map. Storage structure is indicated. Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see below).

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

The neighboring Lewistown Dry Cleaning & Laundry may have received coal on this siding.

The son of the owner, Bill Riddleberger (FaceBook), bagged ice as a youth. He wrote "All ice was taken to places  by trucks. They had a lot of square footage for apple storage in main section; good distribution center for food to area restaurants. The  rails were used by the junk yard behind the ice plant.  Rails only used about twice a week."

IMG 1946
1910 Sanborn map:1910 heverly 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 lewistown dry cleaning lewistown ice storage
Lewistown Ice Side Apple storage at Lewistown Ice and Storage Co.:Lewstown Ice Apples
  Aerial photo circa 1950:Lewistown Ice c1950s 
IMG 2496 heverly co

 

Juniata Gas & Oil Co. -- MP 2.0

Need photos and anecdotal information.

45 West Hale Street (I think) -- Listed as Wilson Gas & Oil Co. in 1970 telephone directory.

Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown on early Sanborn maps as "hide storage".

Appears on the 1928 Sanborn, with 1947 corrections, as Juniata Valley Gas & Oil.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo and remained in 2016 as APR Supply.

1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 juniata valley gas oil
2019 aerial, now Mifflin County Community Church
2019 aerial juniata gas
   

Lewis Sitkin -- MP 2.1

Need photos and anecdotal information.

Located halfway between Juniata Gas & Oil and Penna. Edison Co.

Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Paul Fegley indicates this was a junk dealer and metal scrapper. He provided a 1957 newspaper ad that indicated they were at the "West end of Charles Street".

David Goehring recalls Sitkin's operation was still active in 1963-64 when he was working in Lewistown.

A 1995 document by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportion -- regarding Route 22 improvements -- provides the following citation... "Located near the gas plant, the Sitkin/Penn Electric/Penn Fuel Gas sites disposed shredded rubber on site."

Penna. Edison Co. No. 1 -- MP 2.2

Need photos and anecdotal information.

Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections. Although the Sanborn map does not indicate so, this entity did have a dedicated siding which is visible in the 1938 and 1957 Penn Pilot aerial images.

A 1995 document by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportion -- regarding Route 22 improvements -- provides the following citation... "Processing tanks remain on site at the Lewistown Gas Plant, a former coal tar plant."

1928 Sanborn map, with corrections to 1948:
1928 penn ed gas
2016 aerial photo:
2016 pa edison

May be this location:

penn ed 1

May be this location:

penn ed 2

May be this location:

penn ed 3

 

American Gas Co. -- MP 2.2

Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000, indicating same location as Penna Edison Co. (above).

overhead door co tOverhead Door Co. -- MP 2.3

Need photos and anecdotal information.

566 South Juniata Street (1970)

Manufacturer of garage doors.

Not listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1928 Sanborn map, with corrections to 1948:
1928 overhead door co
2016 aerial photo:
2016 overhead door
overhead door truck overhead droor logo

susquehanna silkVarious Manufacturers -- MP 2.3

The PRR 1923 CT1000 lists it as Lewistown Board of Trade--Susquehanna Silk Mill. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown as Susquehanna Silk Mill on the 1910 Sanborn map. The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, indicates "Various Manufacturers and Storage Occupancies". 

Based on the image below from a marketing brochure, one of the tenants must have been the Cluett, Peabody & Co. John Snyder relates that they manufactured Arrow shirts (104 E. Fleming Street - 1970). David Goehring recalls Arrow's operation was very active in 1963-64 when he was working in Lewistown.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo and remains today. 

  1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948:
1928 silk mill
Cluett, Peabody & Co.:
cluett peabody co
2016 aerial view:
2016 silk