Heritage: Mifflin & Centre County Railroad
CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Milroy Branch
Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Milroy Secondary
Two early views of the Standard Steel plant from Burnham.
1923 Sanborn Maps
Distance from Lewistown Passenger Station...
Miller was a sand provider. Narrow gauge "donkey tracks" led up the mountain to the quarry. John Snyder recalls there actually being an electric "lokie" with overhead wire. Paul Fagley recalls there being a "covered bridge" on the donkey tram above a scale just west of the creek.
Below -- Topographic map indicates route of the donkey tracks relative to the plant and the topography. Railroad valuation maps current to 1955 indicate two spurs with a suggestion of a third that was removed. The red highlighting on the valuation map indicates track removed in 1971.
Visible in the 1957 Penn Pilot photo; remnants may be found via Google Maps, including the bridge piers.
|Penn Pilot, 1938:
||Penn Pilot, 1957:
||Penn Pilot, 1971:||2014:
2.3 Passing Siding
JM Block Station
JM block station is indicated on the 1919 track chart.
It does not appear in the April 1928 Middle Division employee timetable. The September 1933 Middle Division employee timetable shows a BR block station; November 1936 shows HM; and April 1939 it is referenced as BURN block station.
|JM block station, 1917:
There were separate freight and passenger stations located at Burnham. The passenger station was (railroad) west of the freight station and closest to Freedom Avenue.
Passenger service ceased in 1941. At some point the freight station was razed and freight services moved to the passenger depot. The resulting structure was boarded up no later than 1964.
Listed in 1923 and 1945 CT1000's.
In the photo at right, the passenger station is in the foreground with the freight station behind.
|1910 Sanborn map:
||Valuation map, corrected to 1955:
The red highlighting on the valuation map indicates track removed in 1971. There are indications of earlier trackage that no longer remained.
|North and west facades, passenger station (foreground) and freight station (background):||Freight station, east facade, 1917:
1970ish photographs of the passenger station from the collection of Robert Johnson; used with permission.
2.8 Logan Iron & Steel Co. No. 1 (Kovalchick Salvage Company)
3.1 Logan Iron & Steel Co. No. 1 (Kovalchick Salvage Company)
Lewistown and the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRRT&HS) documents (p.54) that this entity (Logan Iron and Steel) went bankrupt in May 1946. The property was purchased by the Kovalchick Salvage Company. A portion was developed as a shopping mall and the remainder survives as a salvage yard.
Below: Three images from the 1910 series Sanborn maps.
1905 Track Diagram of Logan Iron & Steel showing proposed mill yard tracks. Courtesy of Susan Yosten.
Post 1905 Track Diagram of Logan Iron & Steel. Courtesy of Susan Yosten.
Undated Track Diagram of Logan Iron & Steel showing proposed changes in trackwork. Courtesy of Susan Yosten.
Suburban Atlantic States Gas Company
611 N Logan Blvd.
According to a Golden Jubilee booklet published in 1961, the "Atlantic States Gas Company began operation in April, 1936, in Lewistown, Pennsylvania. The office was located at 137 Market Street and the bulk plant was located on South Dorcas Street, Lewistown. In 1947, the company moved from Lewistown to Burnham where a new bulk plant was built on North Logan Blvd."
It remains unclear if the company had any relation to the Suburban Propane Gas Corporation, which was formed in 1945.
NOTE: Standard Steel is not covered on this page. Though there were two early tracks into the plant from Burnham proper, they were removed long before the era being depicted. For information on The Standard, please reference the Milroy Secondary: 3905 - Yeagertown article.