Print
Hits: 221

H BT Huntingdon Broad Top Railraod Locomotive Coal Car in Saxton Bedford County in 1953jpg

Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad (H&BTM) (reporting mark HBTM) is a former short line railroad company operating passenger and freight service on standard gauge track in south central Pennsylvania.

Operational headquarters were in Huntingdon, and Saxton, with financial and business offices located in Philadelphia. The primary shop facilities were located in Saxton; auxiliary car shop facilities were at Huntington. Turntables were located at Huntingdon, Saxton, and Mount Dallas, Pennsylvania.

 

[The initial content of this page was taken verbatim from Wikipedia. There is no intent to claim authorship of the work. It is desired to annotate this work herein.]

History

Construction

The Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad and Coal Company was chartered on May 6, 1852, and organized on January 10, 1853. The purpose of the line was to provide a rail link from Huntingdon to Bedford, and to provide a competitive alternate route to local coal producers to break the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's monopoly on coal that was being shipped from the Cumberland, Maryland, area. The existence of high quality semi-bituminous coal in the Broad Top Mountain region was known since colonial times. Before the railroad, wagon or pole barge was the only practical method of bringing the coal from the remote region to market.

The 31 mile portion of the main line from Huntingdon to Hopewell, via Saxton and Riddlesburg, was completed in 1855. On February 3, 1859, the Bedford Railroad Company was chartered to provide a railroad connection for Bedford, and was incorporated February 19, 1859. This company, with financial assistance from the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR), built a line from Mount Dallas to Hopewell in July 1863, connecting with the H&BTM. It was merged into the H&BTM on August 17, 1864. Total track mileage at the company's height was just over 72 miles.

Coal branches

A number of branches were built to serve the Broad Top coal fields, beginning as soon as the railroad reached the area in 1853–1855.

Shoups Run Branch — from Saxton to Broad Top City via Coalmont and Dudley. It was extended to Barnettstown, near Dudley, in 1856. Passenger service was operated on this branch between 1859 and 1917, from Saxton to Dudley only.
Coalmont Branch — from Coalmont to Hickory Hill
Miller's Run Branch — from Shoups Branch between Coalmont and Dudley to Kenrock and beyond along Miller's Run. It was built in 1908.
Six Mile Run Branch — from Riddlesburg to North Point via Defiance and Coaldale The branch was opened to Defiance in 1862 and subsequently extended.
Shreeves Run Branch — from North Point to Finleyville
Sandy Run Branch — from Hopewell to the Garlick Mine via Langdondale
Long's Run Branch — from Langdondale to Kearney. The branch was opened in 1883.
Kimber Run Branch — from south of Hopewell at the confluence of Kimber Run and the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River up Broad Top Mountain. This branch lasted only a few years at the beginning of the 20th century.


Interchanges

The H&BTM connected with the PRR at Huntingdon, and with the Bedford and Bridgeport Railroad at Mount Dallas. It operated the B&B via lease in 1871, however the PRR, which had provided the majority of financial backing for the B&B's construction, took over operation of the B&B the following year. The H&BTM would continue to operate passenger service via trackage rights to Bedford over the B&B until 1953, but from 1872 onwards, its southern freight terminus was at Mount Dallas. The B&B was under complete control of the PRR from 1872 onwards but was separated from the contiguous PRR system until 1910, when they completed their Bedford Division between Cessna and Brookes Mills. The H&BTM served as a PRR bridge line for traffic between its two end points until that time. After 1910, the majority of bridge traffic was shifted to the PRR's Bedford Division.

The H&BTM also supported some minor industrial lines, mostly logging railroads and iron ore, as well as the coal-hauling Juniata and Southern Railway, which connected at Marklesburg. Glendale, the terminus of the Sandy Run Branch, originally was an interchange with the narrow gauge Reichley Brothers logging railroad, which operated near Wells Tannery in Fulton County. When the branch was extended from Glendale up Broad Top Mountain in the early 1920s to access the Garlick Mine, the Reichleys abandoned their right of way on the western slope of the mountain and moved their interchange point to the community of Reichley, the location of the brothers' sawmill.

Though similar in name, there was no formal interchange connection or business relationship between the H&BTM and the narrow gauge East Broad Top Railroad. Through the Juniata and Southern Railroad, a physical connection existed at Jacobs, but its doubtful that any cargo was exchanged between the two railroads.

Later History

The railroad was at its height in the last decades of the 19th century and the pre-World War I period of the 20th century. The completion of the Bedford Division allowed the PRR to divert most of the lucrative through traffic from the Cumberland area away from the H&BTM. The decline of the Broad Top Mountain coal fields, the maturity of construction bonds, and many ill-advised right of way improvements and equipment purchases took their financial toll. The Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad declared bankruptcy on October 11, 1953, operated its last passenger train in November 1953, and ceased operations on March 31, 1954.

The Everett Railroad took over the southernmost four miles of H&BTM trackage, between Tatesville and Mount Dallas on April 1, 1954. They operated until 1982, when they closed due to Conrail's abandonment of the remainder of the Bedford Division, by then known as the Conrail's Bedford and Mount Dallas Branches. The trackage was removed in 1985.

The railroad's trackage in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania was sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad. The PRR and its successors Penn Central (PC) and Conrail (CR) operated the track as a means of accessing an industrial park in the Smithfield portion of Huntingdon. Though the northern portion of the trackage remains, it has not been used since the late 1990s.

Preservation

H&BTM's only surviving locomotive is number 38, a 1929 Baldwin Locomotive Works 2-8-0. After the H&BTM closed, this locomotive was sold to the Rail City Historical Museum in Sandy Creek, New York. Railway Post Office car 5436, coach 27, caboose 17, and various pieces of tools and other hardware were also acquired and preserved by the museum. Locomotive 38 would later be sold to the Livonia, Avon and Lakeville Railroad, which restored it to service, and finally, Sloan Cornell of the Gettysburg Railroad. The locomotive was transferred to Cornell's Knox and Kane Railroad at Marienville, Pennsylvania in the 1980s. After it was removed from tourist service in the 1990s, 38 was stored at the Marienville enginehouse, where it received a new tender and H&BT lettering. After the K&K ceased tourist operations, it was moved to Kane, Pennsylvania and stored inside the railroad's expanded enginehouse. However, that structure was burnt in an arson-related fire on March 16, 2008, damaging 38 in the process. The locomotive was sold at auction to the owner of the Everett Railroad on October 10, 2008.

The last surviving piece of revenue freight equipment was G-22 gondola 3807, which had been sold to the Bellefonte Central Railroad in the late 1930s. Converted to a work car, it was scrapped in the 1980s.

Caboose 15 is at the Williams Grove Historical Steam Association's park in Williams Grove, Pennsylvania. Caboose 16 is now at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. Caboose 17 survived after Rail City's closure; its current whereabouts are unknown, although it is believed to be in New England. RPO 5436 was scrapped on the grounds of Rail City. Coach 27 was acquired by the Central New York Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society and is preserved at their Central Square Station Museum.

Depots still exist at Riddlesburg (converted to a church), Everett (along with the separate freight house structure), Hopewell, and Dudley (the latter being the depot from Broad Top City, Pennsylvania. The Dudley water tank, an enclosed wooden structure, remains as well.

Photos

huntingdonpa18951895 railroad atlas, Huntingdon County. bedfordpa18951895 railroad atlas, Bedford County.

 

Rosters

Locomotive Roster

Freight Roster, Condensed

Passenger Roster

Non-Revenue Roster 

Track Guide

The Listing of Stations and Sidings comes from the 1942 Employe Timetable of the H&BTM. The "4000 Number" is a unique identifier the railroad uses for shipping references.

Different names for locations at different times are noted in italics. Locations no longer in service in 1942 are also indicated in italics.

A secondary source was the Pennsylvania Railroad CT 1000 dated 1900.

Distance is from Huntingdon passenger station. There are some discrepencies between different sources.

HU     Huntingdon Passenger Station 0.0
    Junc. PRR Middle Division - Main Line 0.3
HL      < bridge over Juniata River >  
    South Huntingdon Coal Wharf 0.6
    South Huntingdon Freight Station
    Sinclair Refining Company
    Pennsylvania Industrial School
Pennsylvania Industrial Reformatory (1900)
    Tidewater Oil Company
    Kann Brothers
    Long Siding Yard 0.7
    Pennsylvania Sewer Pipe Co., Ltd. (1900)  
    Scale 1.3
4104     McConnellstown Station 4.4
4105A       Junc. McConnellstown Branch 4.8
4105C       A. W. Steele 5.5
4106     Hesston (Grafton, 1900) Station 6.9
4108     Stump Hill (1900) Juniata Furnace and Foundry Co. No. 2 8.6
4109     Brumbaugh   9.5
4109A       Cambria Clay Company 9.7
4110     Marklesburg Station 11.1
4110A     Passing Siding 11.2
4111     Fouse (1900)   12.2
4114     Entriken Station 14.5
4115     Seventeen Passing Siding 15.5
4116     Hummel (Beaver, 1900) Station 17.7
4118     Russell (1900) Colonial Iron Co. No. 4 19.1
4119     Cove Station 20.0
4120     Fishers Passing Siding 20.4
4123       Saxton Furnace (Saxton Iron Co.) 24.0
        < bridge over Raystown Branch, Juniata River >  
SX     Saxton North End Yard 23.8
    Station 24.1
    Scale
    Junc. Shoups Branch 24.4
             4203     Pennsylvania Edison Company 24.8
4204   Puttstown (1900)    
4206   Donelson (1900)   27.0
4207   Coalmont Station 27.1
4207A     Junc. Coalmont Branch 27.6
      4207B Shifting Possibly remnants of Gordon Colliery No. 2 on 1930 map. 28.0
4208G   Maurer Colliery No. 2 (Penn Reliance Mining Co.)(Possibly Coalmont Colliery No. 1 on 1930 map.) 29.0
4208B Hickory Hill Station 29.6
4208C   Hickory Hill Colliery (Blair Eng. & Supply Co.)
(Likely Penn Central Colliery No. 1 on 1930 map.)
29,6
4208D   End of Coalmont Branch 29.8
4210     Junc. Millers Run Branch (built 1908) 28.0
  4279 Heilner Station 29.1
4280   Double Buck Colliery (Houck & Altobelli)
 (Possibly Franklin Colliery No. 1 on 1930 map.)
29.2
4280A   McClain Colliery No. 1 (McClain Coal Co.)
(Possibly Franklin Colliery No. 1 on 1930 map.)
29.2
4281   Franklin Colliery No. 2 (Kenrock Coal Co.) 29.5
    (The 1930 map shows a Puritan Colliery at the end of the line which does not appear in any listings to date.)  
4211     Hickes Colliery (A. H. & A. G. Hickes) (1900)
(Likely Melrose Colliery on 1930 map.)
29.2
4213     Reed Colliery (C. D. Reed) (1900)
(Benedict Colliery on 1930 map.)
29.4
4215     Huntingdon Colliery No. 2 (W. H. Sweet) (1900)
(Likely Hillside Colliery on 1930 map.)
30.0
4216     Midlothian Colliery No. 2 (W. W. Reed Coal Co.) 29.0
4217     Midlothian Colliery No. 1  (W. W. Reed Coal Co.)
Huntingdon Colliery No. 1 (W. H. Sweet) (1900)
4219   Dudley Station 29.4
4221     Ocean Colliery No. 1  (W. H. Sweet) (1900) 31.2
4222     Ocean Colliery No. 5 (Shannon Co.) 31.3
4223    

Fisher Colliery No. 2 (John Heaton)
Ocean Colliery No. 2 (W. H. Sweet) (1900)

32.0
4225     Fisher Colliery (E. Eichelberger & Co.) (1900) 32.8
4227     Carbon Colliery (W. H. Sweet) (1900) 33.0
4229     McClain Colliery No. 3 (McClain Coal Co.)
(Likely Black Colliery No. 3 on 1930 map.)
33.1
4229B     Ruth Colliery (Ruth Coal Co.) 33.2
4229C   Broad Top City Station 33.4
SX     Saxton

Shops 24.7
    Enginehouse 25.4
    Public Track 25.5
    South End Yard 25.2
4126       Crescent Pipe Line (1900) 27.0
4127     Clark   26.6
4128      Riddlesburg Passing Siding 28.7
      Junc. Six Mile Run Branch 29.3
             4228     Riddlesburg Coal & Iron Co. No. 4 29.4
4229     Riddlesburg Coal & Iron Co. No. 5 29.5
4230     Tussey Colliery No. 1 (Young & Weimert) 29.7
    Tussey Colliery No. 2 (McClain Coal Co.)
4231     Durham Colliery No. 1 (Colonial Iron Co. No. 3) (1900) 31.1
4232     Durham Colliery No. 2 (Colonial Iron Co. No. 2) (1900) 32.0
4233   Defiance Station 30.8
4234     Brown Colliery (Riddlesburg C. & I. Co.)
Harvey Colliery (Harvey Coal Mining Co.) (1900)
31.2
4235     Glendale Colliery No. 4 (Langdon Coal Co.) 31.4
 4235A   Rommell (Coaldale, 1900) Station 31.7
4236     Cunard Colliery (Morrisdale Coal Co.) (1900) 32.5
4238     Crescent Colliery No. 2 (Crescent Coal Mining Co.) (1900) 32.7
4240     Bacon Colliery No. 4 (E. Eichelberger & Co.) 32.3
4241   Bacon Passing Siding 32.4
 4241A     Junc. Shreeve's Run Branch 32.8
        4242   Bacon Colliery No. 2 (E. Eichelberger & Co.)
Eureka Colliery (Morrisdale Coal Co.) (1900)
33.0
 4243   Shreeves Run Colliery No. 8 (H. F. Lorenz Coal Co.)
Crescent Colliery No. 3 (Crescent Coal Mining Co.) (1900)
33.7
4244   Shreeves Run Colliery Nos. 1 and 2 (J. M. McIntyre & Co.)
Crescent Colliery No. 4 (Crescent Coal Mining Co.) (1900)
33.8
4245   J. M. McIntyre & Co.
Warner Colliery (Lambirth Coal Mining Co.) (1900)
34.1
4252     End of Six-Mile Run Branch 32.9
4129     Riddlesburg Station 29.4
    Riddlesburg Coal & Iron Co. No. 1
Colonial Iron Co. No. 1 (1900)
    Riddlesburg Coal & Iron Co. No. 2
    Riddlesburg Coal & Iron Co. No. 3
4131     Hopewell  Station 31.5
4132       Junc. Sandy Run Branch 31.8
           4254     Sandy Run Branch Junction Scale 31.8
4255     Atlantic Refining Co. 31.9
    J. H. Simon
 4256     Junc. Long's Run Branch 32.7
    4250    Cambria Colliery No. 3 (The United Collieries Co.) (1900) 33.8
4258  Langdondale Station 32.8
4258A   Zeth Colliery (Zeth Coal Co.) 34.1
4252 Kearney (1900) Jos. E. Thropp No. 3 (1900) 35.8
4259 Kearney Station 35.0
4260   Kearney-Barnett Colliery (Kearney Coal Co.) 35.2
4254     Cambria Colliery No. 2 (The United Collieries Co.) (1900) 34.1
4256     Crescent Colliery No. 1 (Crescent Coal Mining Co.) (1900) 34.3
4258     Chevington Colliery No. 1 (John Langdon) (1900) 34.8
4260     Cambria Colliery No. 1 (The United Collieries Co.) (1900) 34.7
4261     Chevington Colliery No. 2 (John Langdon) (1900) 34.8
4262     Cambria Slope Colliery No. 2 (Bambling & Grace) 33.1
4265   Sandy Run Station 34.4
4266     Keystone Colliery No. 1 (Keystone Coal Co) 34.5
4267     Cambria Colliery No. 1 (Kuhstos & Bambling) 34.9
      End of Sandy Run Branch (1900) 34.9
4269     Buffalo Colliery (J. H. Simon & Son) 35.2
4269A     Harriet Colliery (J. H. Simon & Co.) 35.3
4270     Seaboard Colliery No. 1 (Foreman-White Coal Co.) 35.7
4272     Run-around 36.3
4133     Kimber Run (1900) Siding 33.4
4135     Cypher Passing Siding 35.2
4136     Station 35.7
4137     Brallier Passing Siding 37.6
4138     Station 38.1
4140     Tatesville Station 39.9
4141       Pittsburgh Silica Sand Co. 40.2
4141C       Pittsburgh Silica Sand Co. 40.5
4141A     Tecumseh   40.6
4141B     Summit Passing Siding 40.9
4142     Henry Tecumseh Tannery (Elk Tanning Co.) (1900) 42.2
4142A       Central Chemical Co. 42.5
4143        Everett Everett Forest Products Co. 42.8
    Lumber Track 42.9
    Station 43.0
    Coal Wharf
    Public Track; H. F. Gump & Son (H. Frank Gump, 1909); and H. E. Laher 43.1
    J. J. Barndollar & Son (1900) 43.5
    Everett Glass Co., Ltd. (1900) 43.9
    Factory 43.3
4143A       Gulf Refining Company 43.5
MD     Mt. Dallas Passing Siding 43.8
    End of Yard 44.1
    Junc. PRR Bedford Branch

 

Further Reading

Baughman, Jon D. and Morgan, Ronald L., From Coal to Glory -- The History of the Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad & Coal Co., Voume I, 1852-1874, copyright 1988.
 
Baughman, Jon D. and Morgan, Ronald L., From Coal to Glory -- The History of the Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad & Coal Co., Voume II, 1874-1900, copyright 1992.