PENNSYRR.COM by Jerry Britton

IMG 1946

Heritage: Mifflin & Centre County Railroad

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division

Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Lewistown Secondary

The LN destination is comprised of the Lewistown Secondary, Furnace Branch Siding, and the Milroy Secondary.

Where street addresses are indicated, the years in parenthesis indicate first and last years confirmed in street directories. Entites could have been at the address before and after these dates.

Valuation Maps  

 1918 valuation map 16.0.PA-01.

  • The sidings for Lewistown Ice & Coal are indicated
  • Another siding is indicated at R30-315

 1918 valuation map 16.0.PA-01 updated to 1949.

  • A siding has been added for Juniata Valley Gas & Oil
  • A building is indicated as Tydol Oil Co.
  • A siding is indicated for Lewis Sitkin
  • A siding is indicated for Penn Central Light & Power
NOTE: The left end of the above map is included in the Lewistown (XA) location in the CT1000.

 1918 valuation map 16.0.PA-02 updated to 1923.

  • The siding labeled Thompson Bros. becomes M.W. Brandt 
  • The siding is indicated for Penn Central Light

PRR.v16.0.PA 02 1918r47c49 Sunbury Div ML Lewistown.low 1918 valuation map 16.0.PA-02 updated to 1949.

  • The siding labeled Thompson Bros. becomes M.W. Brandt 
  • The coal trestle labeled M.W. Brandt is now Hoffman Co.
  • The Penn Central Light siding has been reconfigured and is now part of Hoffman Co.

Notes from a 1939 field check:

  • Map 1: "Furnace Branch" track sta. 18.00 and sta 38.00 Steel Tower Removed

 

Lewistown Sanborn Maps and Analysis of Relative Changes

 

1925 Pennsylvania Railroad Industrial Directory

Receivers | Shippers | Commodities

Lewistown Knitting Co. (becomes Montgomery Ward Warehouse, below)
r Yarn, Artificial Silk
r Yarn, Silk
r Silk
H. C. Jackson Supply Co. (becomes Texas Co., below)
r Brick
r Cement
r Coffee
r Feed
r Flour
r Hay
r Plaster
r Stone / Limestone, Crushed
Hoffman Co. (below)
r Cement
r Lime, Agricultural
r Lumber
r Plaster
Lewistown Ice & Storage Co. (below)
r Cement
r - s Feed
r - s Flour
s Ice
Lewistown Wholesale Grocery Co. (below)
r - s Confectionaries
r - s Groceries
r - s Hardware
s Produce
Penn Central Light & Power (below)
r Metal Working Machinery / Gas
r Stoves & Ranges / Stoves, Gas
M. W. Brandt (below)
r Cement
r Lumber
r Plaster
Susquehanna Silk Mill (below)
r Silk
s Silk Goods / Fabric
r Yarn / Silk
Texas Co. (below)
r Brick
r Feed
r Plaster

r  = Receiver     s = Shipper
This directory is not by any means a complete list of companies or commodities.

These entries were possible through the work of Stephen Tichenal.
More information at Rails & Trails.

 

M. W. Brandt

1.4 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

108 Chestnut Street.

Very large coal and building supplies dealer. Originally located a few blocks west where The Hoffman Company is located in the 1950s. Moved sometime between 1910 and 1923 (see below).

1910 - Shown as Lewistown Planing Mill Co. on 1910 Sanborn map.

1923 - Unlabeled on the 1923 Sanborn map.

1923 - Listed as "Thompson Bros., M. W. Brandt" in the 1923 CT1000.

1928 - Labeled as "M. W. Brandt" on the 1928 Sanborn map.

1945 - Listed as "M. W. Brandt" in the 1945 CT1000.

1949 - Listed in the 1949 City Directory.

1949 - The 1949 City Directory indicates a purveyor of "Coal, Lumber".

1957 - Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

1970 - Listed in the 1970 City Directory.

Dan Cupper recollects that there were below-grade bins for coal receipt that were covered with steel panels when not in use. Underground conveyors fed the coal into the storage shed. There was a vertical-slat wood fence around the entire business and it was between the tracks and the coal shed. Dan does not know if the coal shed had stalls for various grades of coal or not.

1910 lewistown planing mill 1910 Sanborn map. 1923 lewistown planing 1923 Sanborn map.
1928 brandt 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948.  
brandt 1938 1938 aerial image.

brandt 1957 1957 aerial image (by 1971 it was gone).

 

On the south side of the right-of-way, opposite the Chestnut Street passenger station, there were a number of entities that lacked private sidings but may have used nearby team tracks.

other industries 1910 Sanborn map.

1928 opposite side station 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948.
2016 southside buildings 2016 aerial image.

south side 1938 
1938 aerial image.

south side 1957 
1957 aerial image.
south side 1971 
1971 aerial image.

  

Landmark: Montgomery Ward Warehouse

1910 - The 1910 Sanborn map shows this as the "Lewistown Knitting Co.". 

1947 - The 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1947, shows this as "Montgomery Ward".

1957 - Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

The building no longer remains.

Thompson Knitting Mill  

 

Landmark: Lewistown Frozen Food Service, Coble's, et al

1910 - The 1910 Sanborn map shows this location as the Witman-Schwartz Company, a wholesale grocer, next to an empty lot.

1928 - The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see above) shows this structure as a wholesale grocer and it has expanded, consuming half of the open lot to the east.

1957 - Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

This building remained in 2016.

70  Chestnut Street:

1949 - No liating in the City Directory.

1952 - Listd as Weis Whole Food Stores in City Directory.

1954 - Listd as Weis Whole Food Stores in City Directory.

1970 - Vacant in the 1970 City Directory.

80 Chestnut Street:

1949 - Listed as Lewistown Wholesale Grocery Company in the 1949 City Directory.

1954 - Listed as Lewistown Wholesale Grocery Company in the 1954 City Directory.

1970 - No listing in the 1970 City Directory.

100 Chestnut Street:

1943 - Listed as Lewistown Frozen Food Service in the 1943 City Directory.

1949 - Listed as Lewistown Frozen Food Service in the 1949 City Directory.

1970 - Listed as Lewistown Frozen Food Service in the 1970 City Directory.

FaceBook discussion initially suggested that the Montgomery Ward warehouse became Coble's Meat Warehouse. Dan Cupper disagrees, recalling Coble's was a single floor structure. Deb Coble (FaceBook) wrote "it became a Lewistown Frozen Foods when my husbands grandfather bought the building around 1950. It later became Coble’s Foods when my husband’s father took over the business and then my husband owned and managed it after that."

grocery warehouse grocery warehouse3 grocery warehouse2
grocery warehouse4 grocery warehouse side  cobles ice cream
cobles ashtrayAn ashtray validating that Coble's and Lewistown Frozen Foods were one and the same!    

 

Landmark: Former Electric Generating Plant

1910 - The 1910 Sanborn map shows this structure as a former electric generating plant, as vacant. 

1928 - The building remains in the 1928 Sanborn map, shown as a warehouse.

1957 - Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

By 2016, it had long-since been replaced by another building.

Landmark: The Hoffman Company

1910 - The 1910 Sanborn shows this location as an empty lot. 

1928 - The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see above), shows a structure labeled "building materials warehouse".

The structure remains in 2016 and still shows itself as part of The Hoffman Company.

P1010553 2016 photo. P1010554 2016 photo.

 

The Hoffman Company

1.5 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

12 Depot Street.

Dealer of coal and lumber. Coal trestle facing freight station. It appears that when the Penn Edison siding was removed next door, The Hoffman Company redesigned their one building and created a second siding into their area.

1910 - Shown as M. W. Brandt on 1910 Sanborn map (right).

1923 - Unlabeled on the 1923 Sanborn map.

1928 - Labeled "The Hoffman Co." in the 1928 Sanborn map. Brandt moved a few blocks east sometime between 1910 and 1923 (see above).

1943 - Listed in the City Directory.

1949 - Listed in the City Directory as Hoffman Supply Co. 

1949 - The 1949 City Directory indicates a purveyor of "Builders' Supplies, Coal; Insulating Materials; Lumber; Roofing".

1957 - Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

1970 - Listed in the City Directory.

Listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Dan Cupper recalls that the trestle was open on both sides as you could see "through" it from the yard.

Susan Yoesten came across documentation stating "Hoffman Supply leased property for a siding for a Redi-mix concrete plant in 1950."

In the 2016 aerial image, below, the structure along the bottom appears to be part of the original structure.

1910 brandt 1910 Sanborn map.

 

Hoffman Supply Coal Chute

Image was labeled "coal chute". Could this be on the rear of the building adjoining the ramo up to the trestle?

1928 hoffman co penn edison 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948. 1928 hoffman supply 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948.

hoffman 1938 
1938 aerial image.

hoffman 1957 
1957 aerial image.
hoffman 1971
 1971 aerial image.
dorcas aerial 1970s Aerial image post 1972.
2016 hoffman 2016 aerial photo.  

 

Texaco logoThe Texas Co.

1.5 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

This track is on the north side, facing the freight station.

31 Dorcas Street.

1910 - Shown as H.C. Jackson Supply Co. on 1910 Sanborn map.

1923 - Listed as H. & H. Supply Co. No. 1 in the PRR 1923 CT1000.

1943 - Listed in 1943 City Directory.

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000 as M. H. Wiker No. 1.

1947 - Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, as the Texas Company, a bulk oil dealer.

1949 - The 1949 City Directory indicates a purveyor of "Gasoline and Oils".

1952 - Listed in1952 City Directory.

1957 - Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

1970 - No listing in 1970 City Directory.

In 1959, The Texas Company changed its name to Texaco.

Not existing as of 2016. 

1910 jackson 1910 Sanborn map. 1928 texas co east penn gas 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948.
texas co 1938 
1938 aerial photo.
texas co 1957 
1957 aerial photo.
texas co 1971 
1971 aerial photo.
Jackson WHarf3
jacksonswarf Jackson Wharf

 

East Penn Gas Co.

1.5 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

33 South Dorcas Street.

This track would be a trestle on the back side.

1910 - Shown as H. C. Jackson Supply Co. on 1910 Sanborn map, as a dealer of coal, wood and feed.

1923 - Listed as H. & H. Supply Co. No. 2 in the PRR 1923 CT1000 (part of Texas Co., above).

1938 - The aerial image of 1938 shows that the business had already converted to gas, no longer selling coal.

1943 - Listed as Atlantic States Gas Company in 1943 City Directory.

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000 as M. H. Wiker No. 2 and Atlantic States Gas Co. (part of Texas Co., above).

1947 - Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, as East Penn Gas Company, dealing in liquid gas.

1952 - No listing in 1952 City Directory.

1957 - Siding still present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

1970 - Listed as Western Auto in 1970 City Directory.

The gas company relocated to Burnham circa 1948-50.

Not existing as of 2016.

For historical aerial photos, see Texas Co. (above).

  1928 texas co east penn gas 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948.

 

Penn Central Light and Power Co. No. 4

1910 - Shown on the 1910 Sanborn map. A boiler house and coal trestle are indicated. 

1923 - Listed in the 1923 CT1000. 

1928 - Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map and indicated in use as a service building and store house.

1945 - Not listed in the 1945 CT1000.

penn power 1910 Sanborn map.  

 

Kishacoquillas Creek Bridge

kish bridge furnace

Sun Oil Co. No. 1 

1.8 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

No private siding!

1923 - Not listed in the 1923 CT1000.

1923 - Not on the 1923 Sanborn map.

1928 - Appears on the 1928 Sanborn map.

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

See aerial images under Lewistown Ice & Storage.

Sun Oil Company became Sunoco.

1928 sun oil co 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948.  

 

J. Krentzman 

1.8 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

krentzman logoRear 127 South Main Street

1923 - Not listed in the 1923 CT1000. 

1945 - Listed in the 1945 PRR CT1000.

1949 - Listed in the 1949 City Directory.

1949 - The 1949 City Directory indicates a purveyor of "Builders' Supplies, Junk".

1970 - Listed as Joe Krentzman & Son (junk) in 1970 telephone directory.

1972 - Paul Fegley recalls that Joseph Krentzman & Sons was a scrap business in Lewistown, forced to move after the 1972 Agnes flood. At one time they absorbed the Juniata Iron & Steel Co. (below).

See aerial images under Lewistown Ice & Storage.

John Snyder also relates that Krentzman was a junk dealer.

Lewistown Ice & Storage Co. No. 1 and Juniata Iron & Steel Co. 
Lewistown Ice & Storage Co. No. 2

1.8 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

129 South Main Street

1903 - Incorporated in 1903 as the Heverly Manufacturing & Storage Company. Manufactured artificial ice, provided cold storage, and sold coal and other supplies. It is known that cold storage included apples and eggs. Ice was manufactured via an ammonia compressor (Common Ground, Summer 2019).

1910 - Shown as Heverly Mfg., Storage & Supply Co. on 1910 Sanborn map. Storage structure is indicated.

1910 - The company was reorganized in 1910 and renamed Lewistown Ice & Storage Company.

1923 - Listed in the 1923 CT1000.

1928 - Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see below).

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1949 - Listed in 1949 City Directory.

1957 - Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

1970 - Lewistown Ice & Storage listed in the 1970 telephone directory.

1990s - The plant closed in the early 1990s.

The company was owned and operated by WIlliam Riddleberer III from 1945 through 1975. 

The neighboring Lewistown Dry Cleaning & Laundry may have received coal on this siding.

The son of the owner, Bill Riddleberger (FaceBook), bagged ice as a youth. He wrote "All ice was taken to places  by trucks. They had a lot of square footage for apple storage in main section; good distribution center for food to area restaurants. The  rails were used by the junk yard behind the ice plant.  Rails only used about twice a week."

Conjecture: I believe the "No. 1" siding, which was combined with "Juniata Iron", actually fed into the second Heverly building and became the Lewistown Dry Cleaning Co. This building had a boiler room immediately next to the siding and may have received coal.

1910 - Shown as Lewistown Steam Laundry on 1910 Sanborn map.

1947 - Shown as Lewistown Dry Cleaning & Laundry Co. on the Sanborn map corrected to 1947.

1949 - Listed as Lewistown Dry Cleaning Co. in the 1949 City Directory.

IMG 1946
1910 heverly 1910 Sanborn map. 1928 lewistown dry cleaning lewistown ice storage 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948.
lewistown ice 1938 
1939 aerial photo.
lewistown ice 1957 
1957 aerial photo.
lewistown ice 1971 
1971 aerial photo.
Lewistown Ice Side Lewstown Ice Apples Apple storage at Lewistown Ice and Storage Co.
Lewistown Ice c1950s Aerial photo circa 1950. 
IMG 2496 heverly co

 

Juniata Valley Gas & Oil Co.

2.0 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

45 West Hale Street

Shown on early Sanborn maps as "hide storage".

1923 - Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000.

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1947 - Appears on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, as Juniata Valley Gas & Oil.

1949 - Listed in the 1949 City Directory.

1949 - The 1949 City Directory indicates a purveyor of "Gasoline and Oils".

1957 - Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

1970 - Listed as Wilson Gas & Oil Co. in 1970 City Directory.

2019 - In use as a church.

1928 juniata valley gas oil 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948. 2019 aerial juniata gas 2019 aerial, now Mifflin County Community Church.
juniata gas 1938 
1938 aerial photo.
juniata gas 1957 
1957 aerial photo.
juniata gas 1971 
1971 aerial photo.
 

 

Lewis Sitkin

2.1 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

50 W Charles Street

Numerous references online refer to the business as Sitkin Smelting & Refining Company.

Located halfway between Juniata Gas & Oil and Penna. Edison Co.

1923 - Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. 

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1949 - Listed in the 1949 City Directory.

1949 - The 1949 City Directory indicates a purveyor of "Junk".

Paul Fegley indicates this was a junk dealer and metal scrapper. He provided a 1957 newspaper ad that indicated they were at the "West end of Charles Street".

David Goehring recalls Sitkin's operation was still active in 1963-64 when he was working in Lewistown.

A 1995 document by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportion -- regarding Route 22 improvements -- provides the following citation... "Located near the gas plant, the Sitkin/Penn Electric/Penn Fuel Gas sites disposed shredded rubber on site."

Penna. Edison Co. No. 1 

2.2 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

1923 - Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. 

1938 - Present in aerial image.

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1947 - Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections..

1957 - Present in aerial image.

This was a manufactured gas plant. Coal was gasified by heating the coal in enclosed ovens with an oxygen-poor atmosphere. The fuel gases generated were mixtures of many chemical substances, including hydrogen, methane, carbon monoxide and ethylene, and could be burnt for heating and lighting purposes. Coal gas, for example, also contains significant quantities of unwanted sulfur and ammonia compounds, as well as heavy hydrocarbons, and so the manufactured fuel gases needed to be purified before they could be used.

Gas would be collected and stored in telesoping tanks called "gasholders".

By-products of the manufacturing process include coke, coal tar (used for road surfacing), benzole (a motor fuel), creosote, phenol (used in the manufacture of plastics), sulfur (used to make sulfuric acid) and amonia (firtilizer).

A 1995 document by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportion -- regarding Route 22 improvements -- provides the following citation... "Processing tanks remain on site at the Lewistown Gas Plant, a former coal tar plant."

Dan Cupper recalls the large "collapsable" storage tanks. Structures remained in 2019 as UGI Corp.

1928 penn ed gas 1928 Sanborn map, with corrections to 1948. 2016 pa edison 2016 aerial photo.
pa edison 1938 
1938 aerial image.
pa edison 1957 
1957 aerial image.
pa edison 1971 
1971 aerial image.
 

penn ed 1 May be this location.

penn ed 2 May be this location.

penn ed 3 May be this location.

 

 

American Gas Co. 

2.2 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

1923 - Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. 

1928 - An "American Oil Co." appears on the 1928 Sanborn map (not on the 1923) but is located after the Overhead Door Co.

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000, indicating same location as Penna Edison Co. (above).

For aerial images, see Pennsylvania Edison Company (above).

Overhead Door Co. 

2.3 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

566 South Juniata Street

No private siding!

Manufacturer of garage doors.

1923 - Not listed in the 1923 CT1000. 

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1949 - Listed in the City Directory.

2008 - Overhead Door closed their Lewistown plant in 2008.

1928 overhead door co 1928 Sanborn map, with corrections to 1948. 2016 overhead door 2016 aerial photo.
overhead 1938 
1938 aerial photo.
overhead 1957
 1957 aerial photo.
overhead 1971 
1971 aerial photo.
overhead door co t

 

overhead door truck overhead droor logo

 

Possible Other Entities

Between Overhead Door and the former silk mill building are several entities that remain in 2019 and were likely rail served... a ramp for unloading, two warehouses with docks, and an oil dealer.

None are listed in the 1923 or 1945 CT1000.

furnace arial 2019
possible 1938 
1938 aerial photo.
possible 1957 
1957 aerial photo.
possible 1971 
1971 aerial photo.

warehouse1 First warehouse.

warehouse2 Second warehouse.

oil Oil dealer.

 

"Various Manufacturers and Storage Occupancies"

2.3 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

1910 - Shown as Susquehanna Silk Mill on the 1910 Sanborn map.

1923 - Shown as Susquehanna Silk Mill on the 19123 Sanborn map.

1928 - Shown as "Various Manufacturers and Storage Occupancies" on the 1928 Sanborn map.

1923 - The PRR 1923 CT1000 lists it as Lewistown Board of Trade--Susquehanna Silk Mill. 

1945 - Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1957 - Present in aerial image.

Based on the image below from a marketing brochure, one of the tenants must have been the Cluett, Peabody & Co. John Snyder relates that they manufactured Arrow shirts (104 E. Fleming Street - 1970). David Goehring recalls Arrow's operation was very active in 1963-64 when he was working in Lewistown.

Remains today.

  1928 silk mill 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948.
silk 1938
 1938 aerial photo.
silk 1957 
1957 aerial photo.
silk 1971 
1971 aerial photo.
2016 silk 
2016 aerial view.
cluett peabody co Cluett, Peabody & Co. susquehanna silk

 

 

Furnace Branch Siding Photo Scrapbook