Heritage: Mifflin & Centre County Railroad
CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Milroy Branch
Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Milroy Secondary
Naginey was named for Charles Naginey and is the site of a vast limestone quarry.
Listed as James C. Naginey and A. G. Morris No. 9 in 1900 CT1000.
Listed as Cambria Steel Co. No. 1--Stone Siding in 1923 CT1000.
Listed in 1945 CT1000.
Photo is of an NRHS excursion train passing the tipple at Naginey in 1937.
Hurricane Agnes in 1972 washed away much of the railroad right-of-way. It was not rebuilt east of Yeagertown, so the quarry was no longer rail-served. It remains active today as Eastern Industries, Inc., and is served by truck.
Bethlehem Steel Co. No. 2
Listed as James Naginey in 1923 CT1000. Listed in 1945 CT1000.
Susan Yosten shared a 1940 PRR memo regarding the traffic at Water and Main streets in Lewistown. It cited "Stone train to and from Naginey, 24 movements per week." That suggests that, as of this date, there were two stone trains daily.
|Four photos of the grade crossing at Naginey in 1924. It is unknown why this study was done; perhaps a precursor to modernizing the dirt road.|
Listed in 1923 CT1000. Not listed in 1945 CT1000.
The PRR Comptrollers Office listing of Map Revisions indicates the shelter was removed March 21, 1928.
|Naginey shelter, 1917: