The paint scheme on the Pennsy's passenger diesels changed over time. Bob Johnson, Chairman of the PRRT&HS Archive Committee, provided the following summary from documents found within the archives of the PRRT&HS:
Before 8-11-1952 - Dark Green with Gold Leaf lettering and striping. Five stripes. (photo above)
The X23 camp cars were created in the early 1940's. Holes were cut in each side for four standard camp car windows. This required the removal of the horizontal ribs where the windows would be placed. Unlike the X23B revision which unbolted these ribs, the camp car conversion merely cut them off, leaving a visible flange. Full grab irons were bolted to the door and a large bar-stock step placed underneath it. The end braces were cut for the placement of a standard camp car door. Grabs were bolted to the jams and the end grabs revised. A standard platform that could be hinged up when not in use was bolted to the end sill.
Based on the Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Equipment Register dated 9/26/54.
A link in the Class column performs a search on the Varnish database and returns the individual car roster. However, the database performs a "contains" search, so a search on class "P70f" will also return "P70fa" records, etc., but not vice versa.
Note that during 1954, the Pennsy dropped the "R" suffix from the class designation which previously indicated air conditioning.
Cabin cars were modified for express service in three groups and information on cars were modified for express service in three groups and information on these cars can be summarized as follows:
1. Total of 45 cars (all class N5) modified late 1926/early 1927.Car Nos. 4980 - 5024. By 1937, all but seven of these cars were renumbered with their original freight equipment numbers and reassigned to freight service.The seven which remained went to Penn Central (Nos. 5001/10/11/12/13/15/18).