The H34 were a series of 70-ton, two-bay covered hoppers. Following the copying of an ACF 2-bay design in the H33, the PRR decided to contract Pullam-Standard to build 300 of their own version of a 2-bay covered hoppers, their PS-2 in April 1954.
Following the initial success of the design, the PRR built on its own, or had Pullman-Standard build additional batches through to 1958 so that in total, the fleet numbered 1900 cars. Various design changes throughout the build life include re-spaced roof hatches, side ladders additions and the replacement of ribs over the bolsters from channels to a U-rib. All of these classes were used extensively across the system through to the creation of Penn Central, with some even lasting in this scheme into Conrail.
The H33 covered hopper was built by Altoona April through June 1953. The 200 cars were of an all-welded design and were similar to ACF 1958 cu ft hopper but not the same. It featured an overhanging roof eave, five roof ribs, Z brace side stakes, and roller bearing trucks.
The H32 was a five-bay covered hopper. These cars are generally thought of as cement cars, they hauled many different commodities, some more dense and some less dense than cement. The general lading for these cars, in order of increasing density, included pulverized coal, soda ash (anhydrous sodium carbonate, used for industrial cleaning and chemical or soap production), lime (calcium oxide, used in making cement and mortar), cement, sand, sodium nitrate (saltpeter, used in fertilizers, explosives, and various chemical processes), feldspar (crystalline mineral mainly of aluminum silicates, used in metal alloys), and dolomite (mineral consisting of magnesium and calcium carbonates, used in the chemical and steel industries)
The H31 was intended to be the modern replacement for the GL and GLA hopper fleet. The prospect of constructing 2,700 two-bay H31 in 1941 was dashed by wartime steel restrictions and only 711 were actually built. An additional 501 composite steel-wood cars were then built.
The GR was a short (37'6") 50-ton capacity gondola, with pressed-steel riveted flat car base with a wooden deck and wooden side extensions held in place by pressed steel ribs. The GR was designed primarily to serve mills and transport long structural shapes.
Between July 1898 and January 1904, a total of 20,138 cars of this basic type were constructed by Schoen Pressed Steel Car Co., Pressed Steel Car Co., and American Car & Foundry. Many identical cars were built for many coal companies and were later acquired by the PRR.
The GL series was a twin hopper with nine side stakes. The original GL and GLC cars lacked a top chord; the side sheets were folded over.