The X43 series were 40' post-war steel box cars based on an AAR design.
With more than 42,000 cars built for the American railroads and 38,000 for the Canadian roads, the postwar AAR 40' boxcar was one of the most widely used freight cars. Many of these cars saw service into the 1980s. Like their 50' design, the AAR 40' box car was modular in concept and the primary aspects of the design standard were dimensions that must be conformed to. The side panels, ends, and roofs were nothing more than component parts that could be used interchangeably.
The 50 ton postwar AAR 40 foot boc car was on illustration of a standard car in a continuing series of AAR standard designs that began in 1932. THe original 1932 AAR had a standard inside height of 9'11" and the 1937 AAR standard box car had a 10'0" inside height. In October, 1947, the Committee on Car Construction revised the inside height from 10'0" to 10'6" because there had been little demand for the 10'0" height car. Standard features of the postwar AAR 40' box car were as follows:
The X26 series were 40' World War I composite box cars based on an AAR design.
Due to a variety of door and ladder combinations within subclasses, photographs should be referenced for accurate road numbers. Photos of models cannot be trusted for legitimate road numbers, but photos of completed models are included for illustration purposes.
The trailer number was broken into three parts. The first two digits indicated the trailer length. These two digits were followed by an alphabet letter (C, E, or W). The significance of the letter is unknown. The letter was followed by numbers indicating the trailer number. Thus trailer 32E250 is a 32’ trailer numbered 250.
Alco RS-1, Class AS10s / AS10am / AS10ams / AS10as
The ALCO RS-1 was a 4-axle road switcher diesel-electric locomotive built by Alco-GE between 1941 and 1953 and the American Locomotive Company from 1953 to 1960. The Montreal Locomotive Works built three RS-1s in 1954. This model has the distinction of having the longest production run of any diesel locomotive for the North American market. The RS-1 was in production for 19 years from the first unit Rock Island #748 in March 1941 to the last unit National of Mexico #5663 in March 1960.
Union Switch & Signal (US&S) was a primary supplier of control systems to the Pennsylvania Railroad. Their compact, desktop series of CTC machines were labeled the 500 series. What follows is a discussion of what is seen on these machines and how they differed from location to location.