Everett has had five names since 1738 when it was called Aliquippa after the Indian Chief Alliquippas. In 1760 Bloody Run came to be after a massacre left the tiny stream running through town bloody red.
In 1770 the Widow Betsy Tussey had a popular Tavern in the area and the town picked up the name Tusseys. When she died it reverted back to Bloody Run. In 1795 the town adopted the name Waynesburg after the military figure Mad Anthony Wayne and it remained so until 1860 when Bloody Run surfaced again. In 1873 the town renamed itself after the noted orator Edward Everett who spoke at great lengths before President Lincoln made his famous Gettysburg Address. And so it remains today. At one point a portion of the town was named Tecumseh as is seen in an old atlas.
This 1939 aerial view shows the planing mill at right center. Flowing to the left, you can follow the right of way through the station area and around the base of the mountain. The curved bridge to the Earlston Furnace is clearly visible. You can also see the connection on the south side of the river to the PRR. Source: Dallin collection, Hagley Museum.
Excerpt from valuation map sheet 1.
4143 - Everett
Everett Forest Products (MP 42.8)
Lumber Track (MP 42.9)
The valuation map only shows one siding at this location, though the CT1000 indicates two.
Station(s) (MP 43.0)
|Everett station, built 1902. (Bloody Run Historical Society)||This image is looking northward and shows the passenger station with the freight station immediately behind it.|
|Everett, 1960.||Everett, 1980.|
|The stations were moved about two blocks north and are now restored and home to the Bloody Run Historical Society.|
|Freight station interior, 1915. (Bloody Run Historical Society)||Everett freight house, 1983.|
Coal Wharf (MP 43.0)
|Remnants in 2023.||The factory/Cottage Planing Mill (discussed below) can be seen to the right.|
Public Track; H. F. Gump & Son (H. Frank Gump, 1909); and H. E. Laher (MP 43.1)
H. F. Gump and son was a coal dealer.
|Remnants in 2023.|
Factory (MP 43.3)
J. J. Barndollar & Son (1900) (MP 43.5)
Everett Glass Co., Ltd. (1900) (MP 43.9)
Founded March 30, 1895. Sold severaal times. Made glass until 1902.
The key on valuation map number 1 identifies lot 7 as being the glass company. Lot 7 is immediately south of the station area.
Gulf Refining Co. (MP 43.9)
It is believed that this entity was on the location previously held by the Everett Glass Company.