Track Segment Series
The Track Segment series documents track segments as indicated in the CT1000 of 1945 in conjunction with the Employee Timetables of 1954. Where available, locations indicated may link to a corresponding On Location series article for more detailed information.
- Hits: 7058
The Lewistown Secondary is a 2.3 mile stretch of track from Lewistown (on the Middle Division main line) to the junction with the Milroy Secondary and the Selinsgrove Secondary.
The Lewistown Secondary has its roots in the Mifflin & Centre County Railroad, which was incorporated April 2, 1860, to build from Lewistown to a point near Milesburg in Centre County. The Pennsylvania Railroad Company invested in the new railroad and construction began in February 1863. The line reached Reedsville, a distance of seven miles, by May 1, 1865. The line entered into a 999-year operating lease with the Pennsylvania Railroad, dated May 27, 1865.
By January 6, 1868, the line extended another 5.4 miles from Reedsville to Milroy, which proved to be its final terminus.
Under PRR management, the Mifflin & Centre County and the Sunbury & Lewistown, effective December 1, 1871, were formed into a separate operational unit known as the Lewistown Division. The Sunbury & Lewistown met the Mifflin & Centre County about two miles east of the main line at Lewistown as its western terminus.
- Hits: 17015
The Middle Division traces back to at least the 1860s. For the greatest span of its (then) modern life (1941-1956), the Pennsy's Middle Division main line spanned from BANKS tower (exclusive) near Marysville, Pa., to SLOPE tower near Altoona, Pa. During the 1956 reorganization, the Middle Division was absorbed into the Pittsburgh Operating Region.
- Hits: 549
The following is a tour of the Waynesboro Branch based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings. The branch originated as the Mont Alto Railroad.
The Mont Alto Rail Road was a railroad in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, originally built to connect the blast furnaces of the Mont Alto Iron Company to the Cumberland Valley Railroad. It was later extended south to reach Waynesboro.
Incorporated as the Scotland and Mont Alto Railroad on May 3, 1864, it was proposed to run from the Cumberland Valley Railroad near Scotland to the iron company's furnaces near Mont Alto. Renamed the Mont Alto Rail Road on November 22, 1871, it opened from Chambersburg to Mont Alto in October 1872.
- Hits: 3253
The Northern Central Railway originally ran from Baltmore, Md. to Sodus Point, N.Y. It was assimilated into the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1911. Thereafter it was segmented into various divisions and names. Only the segment from Baltimore to Wago Junction, Pa., retained the original name of the Northern Central Railway.
- Hits: 2581
The York Haven Line has its roots in the independent Northern Central Railway which fully merged into the Pennsy in the 1910s. In the early 1900s, in conjunction with the construction of Enola Yard, the Atglen & Susquehanna "low grade" route from Enola to Parkesburg was constructed. From Enola to Wago junction, the two two-track lines paralleled each other, appearing as a four track main. This segment was collectively named the York Haven Line.
- Hits: 824
The Cumberland Valley Railroad (reporting mark CVRR) was an early railroad in Pennsylvania, United States, originally chartered in 1831 to connect with Pennsylvania's Main Line of Public Works. Freight and passenger service in the Cumberland Valley in south central Pennsylvania from near Harrisburg to Chambersburg began in 1837, with service later extended to Hagerstown, Maryland, and then extending into the Shenandoah Valley to Winchester, Virginia. It employed up to 1,800 workers.
During the American Civil War the line had strategic importance in supplying Union troops in the Shenandoah Valley. It also ran the first passenger sleeping car in the U.S. on the Chambersburg-Harrisburg route in 1839. The Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) gained control of the CVRR as early as 1859, and officially purchased it on June 2, 1919. The PRR's successor, the Penn Central, closed all railway facilities in Chambersburg in 1972 and its successor, Conrail, abandoned major pieces of the line in 1981. (Wikipedia)
- Hits: 2828
The Philadelphia Division maintained its identity over the (then) modern era of the Pennsy. It existed as of 1941 as part of the Eastern Pennsylvania Grand Division. In the 1956 reorganization, it absorbed the Philadelphia Terminal Division to become the Philadelphia Operating Region. In 1964 it was split into the Philadelphia and Harrisburg operating divisions.
- Hits: 2622
The following is a tour of the Williamsport Division Main Line, starting in Hecks, Pa. (exclusive), to Renovo, Pa. (inclusive), based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.
This line, from Dauphin to Williamsport, was originally part of the Northern Central Railway.
- Hits: 2055
This is the second incarnation of The Hobo's Guide to the Pennsy, the first being on the former Keystone Crossings web site.
The guide contains two groups of articles -- the Track Segment Series and the On Location Series -- both of which are described further below.
The intent is to provide information to both historians and modelers about the right-of-way of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
- Hits: 514
The following is a tour of the Pittsburgh Division - Shade Creek Branch, based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.
Click on the link of a location for more information (if available).
|F102||Junc. Pittsburgh Division - Paint Creek Branch|
|F103||Reitz Colliery No. 5 (Reitz Coal Co.)|
|F112A||"B" Quality Colliery No. 6 ("B" Quality Coal Co.)|
|F113||"B" Quality Colliery No. 7 ("B" Quality Coal Co.)|
|F114||Thermal Colliery No. 11 (Lenox Coal Co.)|
|F115||Huskin Run Siding, Pa.||Passing Siding|
|F117||Miller Run, Pa.||Troy Colliery (H. Sheesley)|
|F118||Arrow Collieries Nos. 1 & 2 (Arrow Coal Mining Co.)|
|F119||Loyalhanna Colliery No. 6 (Loyalhanna Coal & Coke Co.)|
|F120||Junc. Pittsburgh Division - Reitz Branch|
|North Leg Wye|
|South Leg Wye|
|F124||Loyalhanna No. 7 (Loyalhanna Coal & Coke Co.)|
|F125||Reitz Colliery No, 4 (Reitz Coal Co.)|
|F125A||Central City Siding|
|Central City, Pa.||Station|
|F132||Reitz Colliery No. 3 (Reitz Coal Co.)|
|F132A||Huskin Colliery No. 3 (Huskin Coal Mining Co.)|
|F133||End of Shade Creek Branch|
- Hits: 451
The following is a tour of the Pittsburgh Division - Reitz Branch, based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.
Click on the link of a location for more information (if available).
|F120||Junc. Pittsburgh Division - Shade Creek Branch|
|F126||Junc. McGregor Siding|
|F127||McGregor Siding||Reitz Colliery No. 2 (Reitz Coal Co.)|
|F127A||Little Valley Pit No. 2 (Little Valley Coal Co.)|
|F129||End of McGregor Siding|
|F131||End of Reitz Branch|