IMG 2510

The West Penn Railroad is owned by David Trone who resides outside of Hanover, Pa. The West Penn is part of the "Penn Family Lines" consortium.

Track Guide and Photos


Glenville Yard:

IMG 2511 IMG 2512
IMG 2721 IMG 2513
IMG 2722  






IMG 2724

Anthracite Narrows:




Dakota Flats:







IMG 2725


IMG 2726







TV Town:



IMG 2720
IMG 2516 IMG 2723
IMG 2510 IMG 2514

Lower level:lower

Middle level:middle

Upper level:




The Central Pennsylvania Railroad

The Central Pennsylvania Railroad (CPRR) was created by Bob Martin in 1973. The concept of the CPRR is that it is a privately owned railroad located in Central Pennsylvania with very close ties with the PRR. So close that the CPRR logo is the PRR keystone and the CPRR uses PRR locomotives and other equipment and the PRR has unreimbursable track rights on the CPRR.

The CPRR has entered into an operating agreement with the Western Maryland Railway and uses several pieces of WM equipment.

The CPRR generates and receives a considerable amount of freight traffic, operates local passenger train service, and is a bridge route for freight and passenger and freight traffic.

Sadly, Bob passed away. Through his estate auction and other efforts, the "Penn Family Lines" lives on...

schematicCPRR schematic before the expansion into SHOP (under the garage). CPRR Last SchematicNear final schematic, after the SHOP expansion.
IMG 0785 IMG 1061
IMG 1232 IMG 0795


IMG 1221 IMG 1222
IMG 1223 IMG 1225
100 4883 100 4881
IMG 1227 Picture 103
Picture 105  

Trone Engine Terminal:

Trone Eng Term Scott Dunlap Oct 2010
engine house Picture 107
IMG 0594  


coal load
coal yard IMG 1230
Picture 080  


Picture 075
Picture 077 IMG 0603
IMG 0602  






July 21 2013 424 1
July 21 2013 425 1 July 21 2013 426 1
Eric Massey 122913 2
Madaxonk Nov 2015 Shop Mooney hybrid 5 Copy Madaxonk Nov 2015 Shop Mooney hybrid 1 Copy

Upper St. Joe:

100 4588

St. Joe:

Eric Massey 122913 1
IMG 1240 IMG 0587
IMG 0590  


DSCN1454Oops, someone didn't normalize the switch at Davidsburg!


DSCN0348 DSCN0351

Furnace Mountain:

IMG 1236
IMG 1238 IMG 1239


Jan 2014 36
Potter quarry by Mary Ellen Sierhuis Jan 2012 1 1 Crusher and Quarry
pict0001 pict0035


IMG 1226 IMG 1234
IMG 1235  

KNAT Yard:



IMG 1803
IMG 1802 July 21 2013 533


Locomotive Roster
 Num  Model Successor Assignment
 25  2-8-0 Consoidation D. Trone
 26  Gas Electric J. Mooney
 27   2-8-0 Consoidation D. Trone
 28  2-8-0 Consoidation D. Trone
37 EMD E7A C. Kadyk
 51  Alco S2 W. Francesco
52  Alco S1  
53  EMD SW9 D. Trone
54  EMD SW7  
57  EMD SW9 D. Trone
70 EMD GP9 D. Rohrbaugh
71  EMD GP7  
071  EMD GP7 M. Markle
72  EMD GP7  
73  EMD GP7  
073  EMD GP7 M. Markle
74  EMD GP7  
75  EMD GP7  
075  EMD GP9 White Rose Hobbies (dummy)
76  EMD GP7 M. Kaiser
77  EMD GP30  
78  EMD GP7 W. Francesco
078  EMD GP9 White Rose Hobbies (dummy)
79 EMD GP9 D. Rohrbaugh
 85  Alco RS-1 D. Trone
87  Alco RS-11 D. Trone
88  Alco RS-3  
89  Alco RS-3  
89  EMD F7A  
90  EMD F7A D. Trone
91  EMD F3A J. McConkey
91B  EMD F3B J. McConkey
92  EMD F7A T. King
93  EMD F7A T. King
94  EMD F7A  
95  EMD F7B  
99  EMD F3A  
99  EMD F7A  
99B  EMD F3B  
199  EMD F3A J. Britton
199B  EMD F3B J. Britton
2196  EMD GP30 C. Potter
2671 EMD ????? D. Trone
8638  EMD SW7 C. Kadyk


Cove Station  






Hbt at Tatesville tatesville hbt pic 1


h bt at hopewell Restored Keystone Foundry at Hopewell


Entriken train  


In 1852, the Broad Top Improvement Co., which laid out the town, constructed a 57-room hotel called the Broad Top Mountain House. It attracted visitors from far away and was very popular with Philadelphians. According to a Huntingdon County history, "The hotel was much patronized as a summer resort, the mountain scenery and healthful surroundings of the place attracting many who desired to escape from the dust and heat of crowded cities."

"In 1854 the Broad Top Railroad Improvement Company purchased the farm of Miles Cook, and on it laid out a part of the village of Broad Top City. Jesse Cook, whose land joined this on the north, also laid out a portion of the village at the same time. At this time the company erected a saw-mill and commenced the erection of a hotel, which was completed in 1855. From this time the growth of the village kept even pace with the development of the coal interest, and it reached its height about the year 1861. During eight years from that time it neither increased or diminished in size, but after 1869 business became less active here as the coal interest declined. The population however, never diminished to any great extent. In 1868 the village was incorporated as a borough. he borough contains fifty-eight dwellings and four hundred inhabitants. It has two hotels, one of which has been much patronized as a summer resort, the mountain scenery and healthful surroundings of the place attracting hither many who desire to escape form the dust and heat of the crowded cities. There are also two stores, a millnery store and a confectionary establishment, a blacksmith's shop, a gunsmith's shop, a wagon shop, a cabinet shop, two churches, and a public school, in which sessions were held during six months of 1881, and seventy pupils were instructed."1
1History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 228-237.
1873 broadtopcity1873 atlas depiction of Broad Top City. broadtopcity


"Carbon Colliery, also within the borough of Broad Top City, was opened in 1872, by the elder Mears, and it is still operated by his sons. The mouth of the drift is seven hundred yards from the railroad, which is reached by a tramway and a self-acting plane. This mine is nearly worked out, and will soon be abandoned."1
1History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 228-237.