The Pennsylvania Railroad invested in diesel locomotives from all major manufacturers until EMD finally "won out" in the first generation diesel wars.

What follows is a timeline of diesel locomotive purchases by brand.

Models in bold are represented in the author's collection.

This page chronicles the year that "modern" steam locomotive classes first appeared on the Pennsy, starting in 1900.

Going back before 1900, the results are really convoluted and inconsistent due to the PRR's absorption of subsidiary line's locomotives.

Disclaimer: This list may not take into account all rebuilds.

Models in bold are represented in the author's collection.

prr alco fa1

 

Alco FA1 / FB1, Class AF15

The ALCO FA was a family of B-B diesel locomotives designed to haul freight trains. The locomotives were built by a partnership of ALCO and General Electric in Schenectady, New York, between January 1946 and May 1959. They were of a cab unit design, and both cab-equipped lead (A unit) FA and cabless booster (B unit) FB models were built. A dual passenger-freight version, the FPA/FPB, was also offered. It was equipped with a steam generator for heating passenger cars.

When is an EMD "F7A" an "EF15a"? When it's owned by the Pennsylvania Rail Road!

The Pennsy - The Standard Railroad Of The World - had its own system of classifying diesel locomotives, rather than relying on the designations appointed by the builders of the units.

When the Pennsy first started purchasing diesel locomotives, they extended the classification system used for steam and electric locomotives, which was based on wheel arrangements. This sort of worked, until the arrival of the EMD E7's. The E7's were paired so "one unit" would have 4,000 hp. This produced a "powered" wheel arrangement of 0-6-6-6-6-0!

 HOParagon3BrassHybridPRRS2Turbine3of16

This table cross references Pennsy steam locomotives by class, type, sub class, sub class designator, year of introduction, and availability of HO models.

Eventually, clicking on minor class number will link to a class-specific page which will include prototype builder data, specifications, unit rosters, and unit photos.

Models in bold are in my personal collection. 

Corrections and additions to this page are welcome.

 ES6 8566

This table cross references Pennsy diesel classes with manufacturer model numbers and first year of use on the PRR system. Table is organized by class prefix and number. 

6678627217dffa41dde5a7ebc94e5c1b

EMD SW / SW1, Class ES6

The EMD SW1 is a 600-horsepower diesel-electric switcher locomotive built by General Motors' Electro-Motive Corporation (later Division) between December 1938 and November 1953. Final assembly was at EMD's plant at LaGrange (McCook) Illinois. The SW1 was the second generation of 3,402 cu in (55.75 L) switcher from EMD, succeeding the SC (cast frame) and SW (welded frame). The most significant change from those earlier models was the use of an engine of EMD's own design, the then-new 567 engine, here in 600 hp V6 form. 661 locomotives of this design were built, no SW1s were built after March 1943 until production started again in September 1945.

Like most long-running locomotive models, a number of changes were made to the SW1 over its production life. Internally, the post-war locomotives were somewhat improved, and used the 567A engine.

prr5937

Baldwin VO-660, Class BS6

The Baldwin VO-660 was a diesel-electric locomotive switcher built by Baldwin Locomotive Works between April, 1939 and May, 1946. The 197,520–203,980 lb units were powered by a six-cylinder diesel engine rated at 660 horsepower, and rode on two-axle AAR Type-A switcher trucks in a B-B wheel arrangement. 142 examples of this model were built for American railroads, along with the United States Navy. Baldwin replaced the VO-660 with the model DS-4-4-660 in 1946.

Unknown

Baldwin RT-624, Class BS24 / BS24m

The Baldwin RT-624 was a twin-engined diesel-electric locomotive, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works between 1951 and 1954.

The RT-624, an improved version of the Baldwin DT-6-6-2000, was a center-cab transfer locomotive. Twenty-four locomotives were built using 6-cylinder turbocharged 606A prime movers during 1951–1954.

Road Numbers Qty Class Delivery HO Scale Models
8952, 8953 2 BS24 7/51  
8954-8965 12 BS24m 8-11/51  
8724-8731 8 BS24m 9-12/52  
8113 1 BS24m 2/54  
        Custom Brass

 

 

 

FM H-16-44, Class FS16m

The FM H-16-44 was a road-switcher produced by Fairbanks-Morse from April 1950 – February 1963. The locomotive shared an identical platform and carbody with the predecessor Model FM H-15-44 (but not the FM H-20-44 end cab road switcher which used a different carbody and frame and a larger prime mover), and were equipped with the same eight-cylinder opposed piston engine that had been uprated to 1,600 horsepower. The H-16-44 was configured in a B-B wheel arrangement, mounted atop a pair of two-axle AAR Type-B road trucks with all axles powered. In late 1950, the AAR trucks were almost exclusively replaced with the same units found on the company's "C-liner" locomotives.

FS10

FM H-10-44, Class FS10

The FM H-10-44 was a yard switcher produced by Fairbanks-Morse from August, 1944–March, 1950. The units featured a 1,000-horsepower, six-cylinder opposed piston engine prime mover, and were configured in a B-B wheel arrangement mounted atop a pair of two-axle AAR Type-A switcher trucks, with all axles powered. Many H-10-44s received modifications that increased their horsepower rating to 1,200 hp.

Subcategories

The Track Segment series documents track segments as indicated in the CT1000 of 1945 in conjunction with the Employee Timetables of 1954. Where available, locations indicated may link to a corresponding On Location series article for more detailed information.

The On Location series takes a deep dive into a Pennsylvania Railroad location as indicated within the CT1000 - List of Stations and Sidings.

The Interchange series contains articles about railroads that interchanged with the Pennsy, including fleet statistics and paint schemes with era-appropriateness guidance.