Print
Hits: 3864

water color of station

 

Heritage: Pennsylvania Railroad

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Main Line

Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Main Line

Timeline

Between 1849 and the end of 1853, construction of the original Lewistown station about 200' east of the present station. It was a three story brick structure that included a hotel and restaurant.

In 1868 the present station opened, having been a renovation and expansion of the 1849/50 freight warehouse. It measured approximately 40'6" by 126' with bays on the front and back which measured 8'6" by 15'.

There was a brick signal tower above the bay on the main line. It may have been part of the original 1849 building, but was definitely added prior to May 1, 1876, when manual block operation went into effect between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Block stations and manually controlled block signals were located every few miles. The tower above the station was designated "J" block (MP 61.0) -- "WK" was located 1.7 miles to the east (59.3) and "GB" [LEWIS] was 1.1 miles to the west (62.1). Initially banner-type signals were used, but lower-quadrant semaphores were in use by the mid-1880s.

In 1898 a small baggage building was constructed immediately northeast of the passenger station. It was of frame construction and measured 24' by 20'6".

Between 1902 and 1903, a frame passenger shelter was built on the eastbound platform, measuring 9 to 12' wide by 112' long. An under-track pedestrian tunnel was constructed at this time. 

Also in 1902-03, "WK" block station was relocated an additional 1.2 miles eastward. A new tower was constructed with the installation of a new interlocking plant and a mechanical interlocking machine with 33 working levers and seven spare spaces.

Between 1903-04, the crossover and signal layout at Lewistown Junction was revised. A new two-story brick and frame interlocking tower was constructed about 700' east of the passenger station. Although the tower physically remained above the station, the role of "J" transferred to the new tower. New signal bridges were constructed and a new mechanical interlocking machine installed with 40 working levers in a 48-space system.

Lewistown_Junction_PA_1909.jpg A westward view of "J" tower circa 1909. J_Tower_1915.jpg An eastward view of "J" tower circa 1909.
J_tower.jpg 1910 postcard.  

In 1905-06, a new Granville Bridge was constructed immediately west of "GB" as part of four-tracking the main line. A new "GB" [LEWIS] two-story frame tower was constructed with a footprint of 16' by 28'6". A 44-lever frame mechanical interlocking machine was installed. New home signal bridges were installed, as were electrically operated distant signals.

Sometime between 1906 and 1911, "GB" tower was renamed "RW" [LEWIS].

In 1913-14, automatic block signals went active between Denholm ("MI") and Huntingdon ("HM"), and "WK" was removed and the tower closed. A new "J" tower was constructed about 600' west of the passenger station. It was a 14'6" by 28'6" frame structure. It went into service on July 23, 1914. The new interlocking was electro-mechanical, with 16 working mechanical levers in an 18-lever frame, and 15 working electrical levers in a 16-lever frame.

old_Lewistown_trackage.jpgThis diagram indicates the final location of "J" tower, west of the passenger station 42216159 10156476701885993 3597321382855180288 nAlthough the Viscose is the focus of this post card, at lower right is a depiction of the tower in its final location before being remoted to LEWIS.
pc lewistownUnknown iteration of tower. LEWISTOWN_PA_-_JUNCTION_-_PAPER_ON_TELEPHONE_SYSTEM_-_INTERIOR_OF_TOWER_1914.jpgThe interior of "J" tower in 1914. It is unknown which "J" tower location is depicted.

 

During this same time, a new electro-mechanical interlocking machine was installed at "RW" [LEWIS]. It was a P3 type and had 8 working mechanical levers on a 12-lever frame, and there were 13 working electrical levers in a 24-lever frame. It went into service on January 21, 1914.

In 1925, the interlocking plant at "J" was simplified and the tower was taken out of service permanently. Its interlocking was made an extension of "RW" [LEWIS] block station.

On September 30, 1928, "RW" tower was renamed "LEWIS".

Other than the application of electro-pnuematic operation s of October 23, 1952, the LEWIS plant remained without significant change through at least 1984. Sometime between 1962 and 1970 the bay was removed from the front of LEWIS tower and the building was sheathed with insulbrick siding.

1955 lewis carl sherman LEWIS operator Carl Sherman, 1955. 1955 lewis red siphers LEWIS operator "Red' Siphers, 1955.
The model board from LEWIS tower was saved and is in the care of the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society. This is how the board looked when it was taken out of service:
LEWIS board LEWIS board2

 

As passenger service dwindled during the 1950s, changes were made to the infrastructure at Lewistown Junction. At some point the tower atop the station was removed. Many photos noted as taken in 1954 show the tower; photos noted as taken in late 1955 do not show the tower. I've observed that the overall roof looks a bit shaggy in the earlier photos and clean in the later photos. I suspect the station was completely re-roofed and the tower removed in the process.

During this time the older station was removed and the west end of the station was transformed for Less than Carload Lot or small package freight service.

The tower atop the station was restored for cosmetic purposes after the property was transferred to the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society, which houses its archives there to this day.

 

PRR.v07.1.PA 054 1918r45c49 Middle Div ML RW Tower Lewis.low 1918 valuation map 07.1.PA-054 updated to 1949.

  • Of note is the orientation of the crossovers between tracks 2 and 3, which is consistent with photographs. A 1967 valuation map shows them in reverse orientation.

PRR.v07.1.PA 53 1918c24 Middle Div Lewistown Junction.low 1918 valuation map 07.1.PA-53 updated to 1924.

  • J Tower is located by the signal bridge at the west end of the passenger platform
  • A Tool House is indicated east of the Express building
  • The crossovers in front of the station go from track four all the way to track one (travelling east) and there is a reverse crossover from three to the Car Shop Siding
  • A 102,000 gallon reservoir is indicated opposite the Express building

PRR.v07.1.PA 053 1918c24p Middle Div ML Lewistown Junction.low 1918 valuation map 07.1.PA-53 updated to 1924.

This appears to be the same as the map to the left, but in "blue print" format.

PRR.v07.1.PA 053 1918r26p Middle Div ML Lewistown Junction.low 

1918 valuation map 07.1.PA-53 updated to 1926.

  • J Tower has been removed (remoted from LEWIS)
  • Both crossovers from track three to the Car Shop Siding have been removed; the crossover from track two to track one has been removed

PRR.v07.1.PA 053 1918r39c49 Middle Div ML Lewistown Junction.low 1918 valuation map 07.1.PA-53 updated to 1949.

  • Though the shape of the Tool House is present, it is not indicated as such
  • Travelling east, the crossover from track three to the Car Shop Siding and to track two has been restored
  • The reservoir has been removed

 

1923 Sanborn Maps

sb lewistown 1923 1 sb lewistown 1923 18

 

IMG 3636
This excerpt of a 1950 photo shows the station (left),
Railway Express Agency (center), and a landmark apartment building (right).

Railway Express Agency

Just east of the station was the Railway Express Agency, occupying a building that was the original passenger station for Lewistown. Supposedly a portion of the building was originally a hotel, it is shown as apartments on the 1928 Sanborn map.

Immediately east on the Sanborn is an empty lot, once occupied by "J" tower circa 1903-13. To the east of that, an apartment building which shows prominently in period photographs.

IMG 1624 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1948. LEWISTOWN MAIL CATCHER In the foreground is the "mail catcher" for west bound mail trains that do not stop. In the background one can see the apartment building, the REA building, then the station. This photo is post 1954 given the absence of the tower structure on top of the station.
1950s rea south The REA building in the early 1950s, southern facade (track facing). 1950s rea west REA building in the early 1950s, western facade.
1963 rea west REA building during demolition, western facade, 1963. 1963 rea rear REA building during demolition, northern facade, 1963.

 

Station

60.7 miles from Harrisburg.

lewistown 1915 1915 postcard. post card trolley 1918 1918 postcard.
lewistowndepot  
Lewistown 1860 1860 photo of original station. Lewistown 1865 74 Station circa 1865-74.
Lewistown station post1890 Postcard after 1890. Lewistown station2 1864 74 Photo between 1864-74.
Lewistown undated Undated photo.  
IMG_1725.jpg 1954 photo shows "J" tower above the passenger station with the "shaggy" roof. 1956 station 1956 photo shows what appears to be a new roof and the J tower superstructure removed. 
lewistowneast Looking east from the station. PRRdepotLewistownPA062451rp
lewistown station 1961 1961 photo. Lewistown 1981 1981 photo.
Lewistown main 1985 1985 photo.  

 

Car Shop Siding

60.8 miles from Harrisburg.

Spur between tracks two and three allowing set out of bad order cars.

Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

 

Lewistown XA Main Line Photo Scrapbook