Print
Hits: 2628

mt rock mill

Heritage: Mifflin & Centre County Railroad

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Milroy Branch

Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Milroy Secondary

The locals refer to this area as "Mount Rock". This is the area where the McDonald's restaurant is today on Electric Avenue. 

 

Electric Avenue, looking east, 1958:electric avenue 1958 mt rock mill
  PRR.v16.01.PA 01 1918r42c49 Sunbury Div Milroy Branch.low 1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-01 corrected to 1949.
NOTE: Only the extreme right end of this map is referenced in the Lewistown (3902) location in the CT1000. The majority is in the Lewistown (LN) location.
 1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-02 corrected to 1927.  1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-02 corrected to 1949.
NOTE: The right half of this map is referenced in the Menzies (3903) location in the CT1000.

 

1923 Sanborn Maps

sb lewistown 1923 1 sb lewistown 1923 22 sb lewistown 1923 23

 

lewistown 3902 1930s A view of the area circa 1930s  
bridge 3902 Bridge 1.00. P1010592 Bridge 1.00.
kish creek  

 

Spanogle-Yeager Milling Co.

1.1 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

Listed in the 1923 and 1945 CT1000's.

A photograph of one of the Yeager structures is on page 116 of Lewistown and the Pennsyvania Railroad (PRRT&HS).

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. 

1928 goss feed mill mount rock roller mills
goss mill P1010586
P1010587 P1010588
P1010590 P1010591
spanogle 1910 spanogle yeager

 

Lewistown Transportation Co.

1.1 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

Listed in the 1923 CT1000 as Lewistown & Reedsville Elec. Ry.

Listed in the 1945 CT1000. 

lewistown electric railway car barn  
P1010592 Looking railroad-east from the siding towards the branch. The car barn was just behind the electrical substation at left. P1010675
1928 lewistown transportation 1928 lewistown transportation2

 

sinclair logoH. E. Knepp, Sinclair Refining Co. No. 1 and Independent Oil Co. No. 1

1.5 miles from the Lewistown passenger station.

During September 1919, Harry Sinclair restructured Sinclair Oil and Refining Corporation, Sinclair Gulf Corporation, and 26 other related entities into Sinclair Consolidated Oil Corporation. In 1932, this new entity was renamed Consolidated Oil Corporation. In 1943, it was renamed Sinclair Oil Corporation.

In 1969, Sinclair was acquired by the Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO). Federal antitrust provisions required the new entity to divest itself of certain Sinclair assets, and as a result, the east coast operations of Sinclair were sold to BP (which has since purchased ARCO).

Listed in the 1923 CT1000 as H. E. Knepp.

Listed in the 1945 CT1000. 

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. Provides a clear footprint.

As of November 30, 2014, this location is still active. The majority of the area is a wood planing mill which is still rail served. Several empty bulkhead flats were on the siding inside the yard. Beyond the lumber mill at the end of the siding where a number of oil storage tanks as well as propane tanks. Not sure if this business was still active.

IMG 2494 IMG 2495

 

Lewistown 3902 Photo Scrapbook