Print
Hits: 6745

1947 milroy

 

Heritage: Mifflin & Centre County Railroad

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Milroy Branch

Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Milroy Secondary

The town of Milroy was the first in Armagh Township, but was known as Perryville until 1850 when the name was changed by the citizens to honor General James Milroy. The land on which the town was built was granted to the Milroy family in 1766. It was General Milroy who laid out, planned and brought the town into existence in the early 1800s.

Late 1800s atlas. Milroy
1938 aerial view. milroy 1938
1957 aerial photo. milroy 1957

PRR.v16.01.PA 11 1918r25 Sunbury Div Milroy Branch.low 1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-11 corrected to 1925.

  • N. O. Reardick is not yet indicated
  • There is a cattle pen indicated

PRR.v16.01.PA 12 1918c26 Sunbury Div Milroy Branch Milroy.low 1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-12 corrected to 1926.

  • A tool house is indicated inside the wye

PRR.v16.01.PA 11 1918r39c49 Sunbury Div Milroy Branch.low 1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-11 corrected to 1949.

  • N. O. Readick is indicated
  • The cattle pen is no longer indicated

PRR.v16.01.PA 12 1918r39c49 Sunbury Div Milroy Branch Milroy.low 1918 valuation map 16.01.PA-12 corrected to 1949.

  • The trackage in front of the station has been reduced to one track

Notes from a 1939 field check:

  • Map 11: Building sta. 642.56 and Shed sta 640.49 added in 1939.
  • Map 12: Grade xing at 647.63 removed 1939
  • Map 12: 100' of main track removed from 652.00 to  653.00
  • Map 12: Main track shifted to state 648.92 to 652.00 to former location of side track #12 ( 62?)
  • Map 12: "MR" block station signal apparatus removed sta 650.58 (1927)
  • Map 12: Passenger Facilities in station building abandoned - now used for freight - sta. 650.58

 

N. O. Reardick

Not listed in any of the CT1000's.

A late 1800's atlas shows this location as a lumber yard and labeled TU&Co. (or IU&Co.)

Valuation map shows N. O. Reardick with its own siding. The map was updated in 1939, 1958 and later.

Appears in Penn Pilot aerial photographs of 1938, 1957, and 1971. The 1938 aerial view closely matches the footprint on the valuation map, which was originally drawn in 1918. The later aerial shots, being less clear, show an expanded or different structure at this location.

Public Track and Milroy Feed & Grain

10.9 miles from Lewistown passenger station.

Listed as Public Track and O. S. Headings [Oliver] in 1923 CT1000. Listed in 1945 CT1000 as Belleville Flour Mills.

Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture reports available online include references to Milroy Feed & Grain as late as 1960. 

I learned on FaceBook that the building burned in the late 1970s.

Post 1947 photo (based on building color) shows the facade facing away from the tracks of Milroy Feed & Grain:milroy feed grain  

 

West Leg "Y"

11.0 miles from Lewistown passenger station.

Listed in 1923 and 1945 CT1000's.

Appears in Penn Pilot aerial images of May 1957.

Valuation map, updated 1958 and several times later, show the wye removed.

East Leg "Y"

11.1 miles from Lewistown passenger station.

Listed in 1923 and 1945 CT1000's.

Appears in Penn Pilot aerial images of May 1957.

Valuation map, updated 1958 and several times later, show the wye removed.

Station

11.1 miles from Lewistown passenger station.

Listed in 1923 and 1945 CT1000's.

Appears in Penn Pilot aerial images of May 1957.

 East facade, Milroy station, 1900s:
1900s milroy east
 South facade, Milroy station, 1910:
1910 milroy
Milroy, looking east, with the Belleville Flour Mills to the left:
milroy 1910 

 Milroy Station, 1915:
milroy1915

 Looking westward, 1946. Note the color of the Belleville Flour Mill.1946 milroy  Looking westward, 1946:1946 milroy2
 Looking westward, 1947. Note that the Belleville Flour Mill has been painted white!1947 milroy  Looking westward, 1948:1948 milroy
127799440 10216605013257425 3732282736194365400 n 127854364 10216605013777438 1267810265716678337 n

 

MR Block Station

MR block station is indicated on the 1919 track chart.

It appeared in the April 1928 Middle Division employee timetable, but is gone by the September 1933 Middle Division employee timetable.

McManigle & McClintic

11.1 miles from Lewistown passenger station.

Listed in the 1900 CT1000. Not listed in the 1923 or 1945 CT1000's. 

Kulp Lumber Co. and Jos. Kelley No. 2

11.2 miles from Lewistown passenger station.

Listed in the 1900 CT1000. Not listed in the 1923 or 1945 CT1000's. 

Kulp Thomas Milroy Sawmill
kulp thomas n co 1
Kulp locomotive #1 circa 1894.
Milroy Shay
Milroy Kulp Thomas No3 Kulp Thomas No1