The Pennsy Modeler

In order to portray Pennsylvania Railroad and interchange partners as accurately as possible, this blog contains articles which are essentially notes to myself, but are shared should the community desire the same information.

Mann Edge 1925

The Lewistown Secondary is a 2.3 mile stretch of track from Lewistown (on the Middle Division main line) to the junction with the Milroy Secondary and the Selinsgrove Secondary.

The Lewistown Secondary has its roots in the Mifflin & Centre County Railroad, which was incorporated April 2, 1860, to build from Lewistown to a point near Milesburg in Centre County. The Pennsylvania Railroad Company invested in the new railroad and construction began in February 1863. The line reached Reedsville, a distance of seven miles, by May 1, 1865. The line entered into a 999-year operating lease with the Pennsylvania Railroad, dated May 27, 1865.

By January 6, 1868, the line extended another 5.4 miles from Reedsville to Milroy, which proved to be its final terminus.

Under PRR management, the Mifflin & Centre County and the Sunbury & Lewistown, effective December 1, 1871, were formed into a separate operational unit known as the Lewistown Division. The Sunbury & Lewistown met the Mifflin & Centre County about two miles east of the main line at Lewistown as its western terminus.

Burnham2C PA 1917 ICC photo2C Robert Johnson Coll

The Milroy Secondary began life as the Mifflin and Centre County Railroad (M&CC), incorporated on April 2, 1860. The Pennsylvania Railroad assisted in the construction of the first seven miles of the line, to Reedsville, which was completed by May 1, 1865. The M&CC then initiated a 999 year lease with the PRR to operate the line. By January 6, 1868, the line reached Milroy.

In 1896, the M&CC merged with the nearby Sunbury & Lewistown Railway Company. The PRR executed a new 79 year operating lease on October 1, 1896. Several minor reorgs occured, culminating in the line being merged into the Pennsylvania Railroad as of April 1, 1902.

Having spent most of its life operating as part of the PRR's Lewistown Division, the newly absorbed line was detached for operating purposes from the Pennsylvania Railroad Grand Division and became part of the Philadelphia and Erie Grand Division.

No later than 1911, the line was part of the Sunbury Division. Sometime before September 25, 1927, the line was transferred to the Middle Division. 

See: Milroy Secondary Divisional Heritage.

The Kishacoquillas Valley R. R. operated passenger trains over the branch under an operating agreement through 1941. When passenger traffic was discontinued, the branch was redesignated a secondary, which changed the rules under which it operated.

KENDALL Tower

Heritage: Elmira & Williamsport Railroad, Northern Central Railway

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Central Pennsylvania Division, Williamsport Division, Elmira Branch

Susquehanna Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Susquehanna Division, Elmira Branch

Burnham2C PA 1917 ICC photo2C Robert Johnson Coll

Heritage: Mifflin & Centre County Railroad

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Milroy Branch

Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Milroy Secondary

Leolyn Station 1957

Heritage: Elmira & Williamsport Railroad, Northern Central Railway

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Central Pennsylvania Division, Williamsport Division, Elmira Branch

Susquehanna Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Susquehanna Division, Elmira Branch

1917 naginey shelter

Heritage: Mifflin & Centre County Railroad

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Eastern Pennsylvania Division, Middle Division, Milroy Branch

Middle Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Middle Division, Milroy Secondary

Grover Eastern Milk 1974

Heritage: Elmira & Williamsport Railroad, Northern Central Railway

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Central Pennsylvania Division, Williamsport Division, Elmira Branch

Susquehanna Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Susquehanna Division, Elmira Branch

Newark Bloomer

Heritage: Elmira & Lake Ontario Railroad, Northern Central Railway

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Central Pennsylvania Division, Williamsport Division, Elmira Branch

Susquehanna Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Susquehanna Division, Sodus Bay Secondary

himrod station 2

Heritage: Elmira & Lake Ontario Railroad, Northern Central Railway

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Central Pennsylvania Division, Williamsport Division, Elmira Branch

Susquehanna Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Susquehanna Division, Elmira Branch

Am La France 3

Heritage: Elmira & Williamsport Railroad, Northern Central Railway

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Central Pennsylvania Division, Williamsport Division, Elmira Branch

Susquehanna Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Susquehanna Division, Elmira Branch

Penn Yan Station

Heritage: Elmira & Lake Ontario Railroad, Northern Central Railway

CT 1000, 1945: Eastern Region, Central Pennsylvania Division, Williamsport Division, Elmira Branch

Susquehanna Division ETT, 1954: Eastern Region, Susquehanna Division, Elmira Branch