The Pennsy Modeler

In order to portray Pennsylvania Railroad and interchange partners as accurately as possible, this blog contains articles which are essentially notes to myself, but are shared should the community desire the same information.

Articles are sorted by modification date, so if an existing article receives an update it will be presented at the top of the list again.

 SylvanScaleModelsPRRtrailer

Early Trailer Numbering -- 1954-1959

The trailer number was broken into three parts. The first two digits indicated the trailer length. These two digits were followed by an alphabet letter (C, E, or W). The sig-nificance of the letter is unknown. The letter was followed by numbers indicating the trailer number. Thus trailer 32E250 is a 32ā€™ trailer numbered 250.

Union tank Car

As of 1950, the following quantities of tank cars were rostered in North America, according to the Official Railway Equipment Register (ORER). This list does not include milk tanks, vinegar tanks, pickle tanks or tanks specifically denoted for company service. Compiled by Jerry Britton.

RR 33004awl

620px Texaco logo.svgTexaco, Inc. ("The Texas Company") is an American oil subsidiary of Chevron Corporation. Its flagship product is its fuel "Texaco with Techron". It also owns the Havoline motor oil brand. Texaco was an independent company until its refining operations merged into Chevron Corporation in 2001, at which time most of its station franchises were divested to the Shell Oil Company. It began as the Texas Fuel Company, founded in 1901 in Beaumont, Texas, by Joseph S. Cullinan, Thomas J. Donoghue, Walter Benona Sharp, and Arnold Schlaet upon the discovery of oil at Spindletop.

Publicker-Ward Distilling Co.

TIchy - Special run from the Susquehanna Division of the Mid Eastern Region of the National Model Railroad Association in 2017.

publicker ward

 

 Freight Equipment

Correct for 1950:

ACF Type 27 Riveted 10,000 Gallon Tank Car

Intermountain

 46204wl

 

tangent utlx1920

Union Tank Car Company or UTLX (their best known reporting mark) is a railway equipment leasing company (and car maintenance / manufacturing) headquartered in metro Chicago, Illinois. As the name says, they specialise in tank cars, and covered hopper cars. As of September 2005, according to their site, they have about 80,000 cars in their fleet.Union Tank Car Company or UTLX (their best known reporting mark) is a railway equipment leasing company (and car maintenance / manufacturing) headquartered in metro Chicago, Illinois. As the name says, they specialise in tank cars, and covered hopper cars. As of September 2005, according to their site, they have about 80,000 cars in their fleet.

Union Tank Car Company was founded in 1866 by Captain Jacob J. Vandergrift, in response to the economic activities of John D. Rockefeller in the years leading up to his creation of Standard Oil. Vandergrift was involved in the conflicts in the oil regions of Western Pennsylvania in the 1860sā€“1870s. Eventually, Union Tank Car Company and Vandergrift's other holdings, which included pipeline and riverboat transport companies, merged with the company that later became Standard Oil. Rockefeller, once Captain Vandergrift's nemesis, made him Vice President of Standard Oil. The town of Vandergrift, Pennsylvania, built in 1895 by steel company president George G. McMurtry to house his workers, was named in Vandergrift's honor.

46323wl

Canadian General Transit was first listed as the Canadian Tank Car Co. in March 1932, with name changed to the Canadian General Transit Co., Ltd. in May 1932. Original reporting marks were CATX, with CGTX reporting marks introduced in July 1932 (CATX reporting mark gone by July 1933). Name changed to CGTX in January 1981, changed to GATX Rail Canada Corp. in April 2002. CGRX reporting marks introduced for refrigerator cars in April 1961, eliminated Ocrtober 1962. CGLX reporting marks introduced in April 1957. CGMX reporting marks introduced in July 1982 for former CGBX cars not being transferred to Procor, Ltd.

 RR 33053awl

Shipper's Car Line Corp. (reporting marks SHPX, SERX, PCIX).

Shipper's provided tank car fleets for companies such as FMC Corporation, Phillips Petroleum, Silver Fox Lard Company, Pan-Am Oils, Mathieson Alkali Works, Bell Oil & Gas Co., Woburn Degreasing Company, King Taste Products, Wolf's Head Oil, 

RR 33049aw

260px Gulf logo.svgGulf Oil was a major global oil company from the 1900s to the 1980s. The eighth-largest American manufacturing company in 1941 and the ninth-largest in 1979, Gulf Oil was one of the so-called Seven Sisters oil companies. Prior to its merger with Standard Oil of California, Gulf was one of the chief instruments of the Mellon family fortune; both Gulf and Mellon Financial had their headquarters in Pittsburgh.Gulf Oil was a major global oil company from the 1900s to the 1980s. The eighth-largest American manufacturing company in 1941 and the ninth-largest in 1979, Gulf Oil was one of the so-called Seven Sisters oil companies. Prior to its merger with Standard Oil of California, Gulf was one of the chief instruments of the Mellon family fortune; both Gulf and Mellon Financial had their headquarters in Pittsburgh.

Gulf's former headquarters, originally referred to as "the Gulf Building" (now the Gulf Tower office condos), is an Art Deco skyscraper. The tallest building in Pittsburgh until 1970, when it was eclipsed by the U.S. Steel Tower, it is capped by a step pyramid structure several stories high. Until the late 1970s, the entire top was illuminated, changing color with changes in barometric pressure to provide a weather indicator that could be seen for many miles.

Gulf Oil Corporation (GOC) ceased to exist as an independent company in 1985, when it merged with Standard Oil of California (SOCAL), with both re-branding as Chevron in the United States. 

tangent sinclair

400px Sinclair Oil logo.svgSinclair Oil Corporation is an American petroleum corporation, founded by Harry F. Sinclair on May 1, 1916, as the Sinclair Oil and Refining Corporation by combining the assets of 11 small petroleum companies. Originally a New York corporation, Sinclair Oil reincorporated in Wyoming in 1976. The corporation's logo features the silhouette of a large green dinosaur. It is ranked on the list of US largest privately owned corporations. It owns and operates refineries, gas stations, hotels, a ski resort and a cattle ranch.

RR 33054awl

Tidewater Oil Company (rendered as Tide Water Oil Company from 1887 to 1936) was a major petroleum refining and marketing concern in the United States for more than 80 years. Tidewater was best known for its Flying Aā€“branded products and gas stations, and for Veedol motor oil, which was known throughout the world.